Friday, October 5, 2012

The Business of Being Born

In one of my many preggo-related e-mails with Danielle, she brought up the movie "The Business of Being Born" which one of her friends had recommended. I immediately got on google and was sucked in instantly by this preview: 
As you know, I have decided to try for an all-natural childbirth. I didn't make this choice because I want to try and be a hero or even because of findings that natural is better for you and your baby. I always thought I wanted a medicated birth and I don't for one milli-second judge someone who decides to go that route. After reading a bunch of books and articles online I just decided that natural was better for me {and frankly, most of that decision comes from being more scared of a needle in my back than the pain of childbirth}. After watching this movie it was absolutely confirmed that I want an all natural childbirth and will do whatever I can to make sure that happens {again, I know things don't always go as planned}.

I really found everything about this movie super interesting, but the main thing that stood out was the sort of vicious cycle of using medication. For example....you get Pitocin to speed up labor which causes your contractions to be more intense and more painful pushing you to want an Epidural but because the Epidural numbs you, you don't feel the contractions or have the urge to push so labor slows down leading to an increase in Pitocin...and this cycle continues on and on until soon you are exhausted and have all this medicine in you and aren't making progress so they take you in for a C-section. Obviously, this isn't always the case...but it makes sense. They give you 10 different things to solve 10 different issues, but it seems the combination just makes everything worse.

After watching The Business of Being Born I found that the producers (Ricki Lake) had made a sort of sequel of episodes covering different topics in more detail.
One thing that really stuck with me from the "More" episodes was that your whole pregnancy you're told all the foods and medications and habits that are bad for you...no Advil, no deli meat, no alcohol, etc. etc. etc. but then all of a sudden when it's time to give birth they want to load you up with medication. I thought that was an amazing point! 

I could go on and on for hours about these movies but I won't bore you. I will say that I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is, has been or eventually wants to be pregnant. I found the whole thing so fascinating. Jason watched it with me too and also found it interesting, not to the extent that I did, but I think it's good for the boys to see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow kris u r a brave sole. Holy crapola I wish u all the luck. Fudge. Wowza. U got it girl.
Love ya
Muuahz Xoxox
Good luck MILF. Tehehehe ;) Xoxox
Coley bear

ajs {of MN} said...

Interesting. My water broke at home, I progressed on my own (no meds) up to about 7cm. I wanted the Epidural... I got the Ep and then, turned out on my least exacm check (the one before deciding if I would need Pitocin (b/c with water breaking on your own you HAVE to deliver w/in 24 hours} anyway at the last exam after my Ep they realized baby had done a FLIP and was back to breech (we figure that this happened the 2md time my "bag of water" dropped... so an UNPLANNED and EMERGENCY C-section it was.... and to make my point and why i wanted to comment, i always WONDER how is it safe or OK to be on pain meds {b/c you have NO option but to take pain meds after a c-section} AND breastfeed.... this is TOTALLY something i will be talking with my dr about next time around and do some research on.... hmmpffff

Schnelle said...

I still haven't had the chance to watch it but I'm going to try for this weekend. I'm glad you liked it. I've been thinking the same things all along- why is it okay to pump a bunch of chemicals/drugs into your system at the end of your pregnancy??? I'm with you, the plan is au natural. I have 2 friends who had all natural births and they have nothing but great things to say. One other friend had an epidural and she said she couldn't feel the contractions so she didn't know when to push so the doctors were screaming at her to push and it left her in a panic; she said she'd never do it that way again.

Nicole-Lynn said...

When I'm preggers you'll have to remind me of this (and the other gazillion things)

Kristen said...

def gonna check these out, thanks for sharing!

柯云 said...

2016-03-02keyun
louboutin femme
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet online
oakley sunglasses
hollister clothing
ugg boots outlet
abercrombie outlet
jordan 11
coach outlet store online
timberlands
gucci outlet
celine handbags
true religion jeans
nike trainers sale
replica rolex watches
longchamp handbags
ugg outlet
hollister clothing
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
uggs sale
ray ban sunglasses
the north face jackets
ray ban sunglasses outlet
tory burch outlet
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
kobe 8
oakley vault
adidas superstar shoes
louis vuitton bags
kevin durant shoes
cheap uggs
kobe shoes 11
fitflop clearance
ralph lauren
toms shoes
cheap air jordans
louis vuitton purses
tods outlet store