Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday: Movie Edition!


As I've mentioned at least a million times, I am obsessed with the Academy Awards and every year I try to see as many of the nominated movies as I can (see how I'm doing over there on the right side of the blog). With less than a month until the big day I have a lot of work to do. I have spent all of my free time this week packing in movies. Here's what I've seen and what I thought...

*Last Friday me and the fiance met up with my BB and her fiance for dinner and to see True Grit. I liked it. It wasn't my favorite movie of the year but I thought it was really well made and both Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld did an amazing job. True Grit is nominated for 10 awards, and I know for sure they'll win at least a few of them.


*On Tuesday, I saw Blue Valentine. This was a tough one. The acting was AMAZING, Ryan Gosling definitely got snubbed! It was a really gritty and really real potrayal of a relationship. I definitely appreciated the way Derek Cianfrance (the director) decided to tell this story. But, because it was so real it was hard to watch. I liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone getting ready to walk down the aisle.


*On Monday I rented Winter's Bone. I didn't like it. I thought it was slow moving and overall boring. The lead actress, Jennifer Lawrence, did a great job and I think she deserves her nomination....other than that I was underwhelmed.

*I also rented The Kids are Alright. I loved this movie. Do I think it deserves a Best Picture nomination? NO. Do I think Annette Benning deserves a Best Actress nominations? YES. Do I think Julianne Moore's performance was even more Oscar-worthy? YES. Do I think Mark Ruffalo deserves his nomination? Maybe not.


*This weekend I'm excited to finally see The Social Network and Toy Story 3 and I'm hoping I can maybe squeeze in one more nominated film as well!


Now head on over to my BB's blog:
Life, Love and Puppyprints
and play along with "Thoughts on Thursday"

7 comments:

Beth said...

i really want to see Blue Valentine. Lucky for me i'm not in a relationship. :)

and i saw The Social Network last Friday and I really liked it.

Ashley said...

wow I am WAY behind on my movie viewing-- I haven't seen any of these haha =)
Thanks for the reviews.

Kaitlin said...

We are working our way through the Academy Award movies that were nominated, and we LOVED True Grit. We are also trying to watch all the movies that won best picture. That is fun too!

Miss K said...

The Fiance saw True Grit and really liked it, but i haven't seen it yet. I wanted to see Blue Valentine, but now I'm waiting after I saw your FB post about it, don't care about winter bone's, i'm waiting on netflix to watch the social network, I just saw the kids are all right and agree with you completely bout it, and i liked TS3

Lisa said...

Oh, Hey, I will for sure check out BB, I did not know that was her blog. We're gonna watch Social Network this Fri. nite along with lo cal turkey tacos. Plus Ms. Kro/Fawver check out Ellen tomorrow 9 a.m. Bethany on w/Superbowl foods. Also, watch Secretariat, awesome, Superior Athlete! Love to watch it again with my family & friends! LOTS of LOVE!

Miranda Kaye said...

ha, out of all those i've only seen Toy Story 3. It was so good. Makes my mom and sister BAWL. I gotta admit there's a touching moment. Have fun!

Syndal said...

oh you will LOVE toy story 3! I cried the majority of the movie!