Monday, August 16, 2010

Sunday Fun Day

Oh my gosh, yesterday was the best day! J and I woke up at about 9:30 (which is an absolute miracle on a Sunday morning, usually we're up at noon) and decided to head to my old stomping grounds, the University of Minnesota campus for breakfast. We went to Steaknife which was one of my favorite places back in the day, and they have GREAT food. Plus, we recently found out the owner Tony (who I've known for years) lives right by Coffee Buzz and is now one of our regular customers, so it was great to return the favor and support his business (even though I pretty much kept him in business while I was in school). After breakfast we decided to walk around campus, and along the way we saw these new bikes from the BlueCross BlueShield "Do" campaign that are available to rent. For only $5 you can rent a bike for the entire day....so we did!

Neither one of us had been on a bike in years, so it took a while to get used to it. Once we got cruising, we were absolutely loving it. We rode around campus and made a stop at TCF Bank Stadium, the home of my Gophers!

From there we rode through the Northeast Minneapolis neighborhood, which is a super fun area of town. Then headed down to the Mississippi River through an area called St. Anthony Main, which is so beautiful and one of my favorite areas in Minnesota. We ran smack into a Polish Fair, which was filled with people and also got to see a bride and groom taking their pictures by the water. After that we crossed over the river via the Grainbelt Bridge and went into downtown Minneapolis. We stopped right by my old apartment to get a powerade and reminisce about my old neighborhood. Then we rode right down by the river near the Mill City Museum. I realize if you're not from Minnesota these landmarks mean nothing to you, but trust me when I say this was a BEAUTIFUL bike ride! And the weather could not have been more perfect!

Then we crossed the Stone Arch bridge, went back through Northeast and back to campus. After our bike ride we stopped at Gold Country, which is a store carrying all the essential and non-essential Gopher sports apparel items. I was very proud that all I left with was a super cool painting. I have a really hard time passing up Gopher paraphernalia. From there we went back to Steaknife to enjoy a much deserved beer.

After that we went back home to watch the Twins game, take a nap and eat some yummy turkey burgers, tater tots and baked beans for dinner. It was seriously the best day. Sundays are always such lazy days because we're exhausted from the week and are usually out and up late on Saturday nights. It was so wonderful to spend the day with J and really enjoy each other and our amazing city of Minneapolis. I think in our really busy lives we underestimate how important it is to really spend quality uninterrupted time with each other, just the two of us. I'm still giddy from how wonderful the day was!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend as well!

9 comments:

Marian said...

Oh yeah...that sounds like a perfect little Sunday there!! I love LOVE riding bikes. When I went back home to New Hampshire a few months ago, I got back on my old bike...and like you said, even though I was a tad rusty...I still had it in me:) Now, I want to buy a bike (and helmet) and ride around Maryland more!!

Kelly said...

Ahhh, wasn't yesterday just GORGEOUS?? (or the whole weekend for that matter!) I've always been so curious about those bikes for rent-- sounds like a fun and deeelicious day outdoors!

Miss K said...

How fun! The fiance and I always talk about riding bikes, we need to just do it already. It looks like the perfect day! PS I love that your school mascot is a freaking gopher!! In CA all the mascots are some animal or whatnot like my HS was a Tiger, but in Utah where I'm from our HS mascots were farmers, beatdiggers, or miners. So funny!

Ms. BWIT said...

That sounds like an awesome time and those bikes are really cool. I'll put that one on the bucket list. ;-)

Laura said...

haha.. i love it!! Isn't biking the best?? I hadn't biked "recreationally" in years either until I got to Sweden.. now we bike to the bar and back (when the sun is out all day in the summer) and it's AWESOME!!!!! Sounds like you all had an awesome time too! - and the beers top it off for sure :)

JoJo said...

Looks like so much fun! You guys are so cute and creative!

Brittany said...

Sounds perfect.

I love Minnesota! I seen the bikes last time I was in Minneapolis! I wanted to rent one so bad, but we were on our way to the game! Next time!

ajs {of MN} said...

hi! thanks for recently following my blog. i look forward to reading/following yours as well. looks like you lead a life just as fun and exciting as i do... best part is- we BOTH write about it! hahahaha thanks again! xo A

Valerie said...

This basically sounds like the best Sunday ever. Breakfast, bike rides, burgers, and naps??? Can every day be like this? Love all the pictures of you guys on the bikes! Looks like so much fun.

Valerie