Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Healthified Beef Stroganoff

While desperately searching for something delicious and not uber fattening to cook for my darling husband I came across this Healthified Beef Stroganoff recipe on Eat Better America. The recipe was pretty simple and J went as far as to say it was "the best thing you've ever made." Not so sure about that...but it was delicious. 
Here's the recipe and, of course, I am sharing it on Pinterest as well. 

INGREDIENTS: 
-1 1/2 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak {I just used stew beef, cutting raw meet grosses me out}
-2 tsp. Canola Oil
-1 large White Onion
-1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
-2 cups Beef Broth {I used Low Sodium Progresso}
-4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
-1 tsp. Dried Basil Leaves
-1/2 tsp. Salt
-1/4 tsp. Pepper
-1/4 cup Flour
-1 Jar (4.5oz) Sliced Mushrooms {drained}
-1 tbsp. Ketchup
-1 cup reduced-fat Sour Cream
-6 cups hot cooked Egg Noodles

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Start by chopping your onion. I really only added this as a step so I could show you this sweet picture...yes, those are onion goggles! My best friend got them for me as part of a shower gift and while they are completely nerdy, they are totally AMAZING! I get serious eye-watering-issues while onion chopping but these bad boys block it out completely. 
  2. If you get a sirloin, cut the beef with the grain into 2-inch strips, then cut the strips against the grain into 1/8-inch slice {this is precisely why I just bought stew beef}. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, cook 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown.
  3. Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the broth, the Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender. 
  5. In a small bowl, mix flour and remaining 1/2 cup of broth with wire whisk until blended. 
  6. Add mixture to skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute. 
  7. Stir in mushrooms and ketchup; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. 
  8. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until well blended. 
  9. Serve over warm noodles.
So yummy! Give it a try...you'll love it!


18 comments:

Café Moka said...

I also have those onion goggles haha! It works great!

Young and Fabulous said...

hahaha your goggles!!! Kristin I just love you

I dont know if i have EVER had strogonoff. It looks really good though so I might have to add it to my 'food i want to make' list that I keep in my head that im always like aww man i want to make that!!

I saw on the movie The Help that apparantly if you hold a matchstick in your teeth while cutting onions it helps you not cry??? so weird!! you should try it once hahah onions dont make me cry so im dying to know if it works!!

xoxox

Ashley said...

Completely diggin' the goggles, it's a good look! Hehe :-)

Jessica said...

Beef stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort meals!

T&S said...

It looks amazing and I think I am going to try it!

I have to be honest, I have never had beef stroganoff!

XO Lourdes

Amanda Leigh said...

okay, I NEED those onion glasses!! where can I get a pair???

I avoid recipes with onions because I seriously have to stop cutting and go outside and cry about 10 times while dicing onions up!

Your Mil said...

Onions and my eyes don't get along either. That is a good idea from Libby. Are they from Paula Deen's line? She swears by them. The beef strog looks great, I'll have to try that receipe. Love Ya!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

it's been a while since i've made this..thanks for the reminder..

CALLIE said...

Sounds so good!! Except I would have to omit or replace the mushrooms bc I don't eat them ha. Definitely will be trying this!!

Carolyn said...

Yummy, Yummy! :)

K_stets said...

Omg...that looks amazing. Like I'm wiping drool off my face at work right now.

I think I need to try and make this sometime!

Kathy said...

First off.. I want those glasses! :) And second.. that looks so delish! I'll have to try this recipe out. Thanks so much for sharing!

Bre said...

YUMMY! Thanks for posting! Maybe I will make this for JB this weekend!

Leah said...

Definitely looks yummy, but my favorite part is the onion glasses- what a riot! And how thoughtful of your friend- a practical and funny gift!

Miss Chelsea said...

I'm gonna be honest... I just skipped 3/4 of this post because I couldnt stop laughing at the onion goggles

Lia Joy said...

YUM! I will have to try this! And I NEED to try those onion goggles. I bawl like a baby when chopping onions. My eyes are so sensitive!

dottie said...

Is your knife set white? If so, love that!!!!

I need some onion goggles, had no idea such item existed.

Nicole-Lynn said...

LOL are you wearing goggles to cut onions? Girl, you crack me up! Too cute!

This recipe sounds so yummy!