Monday, September 27, 2010

Sister Friends

During the football season I am back on campus at my alma mater, the University of Minnesota, almost every weekend. Each year I get more and more nostalgic about the good 'ol days." I miss living on campus, I miss the late night adventures and I miss the amazing friends I made. I've maintained really good friendships with a pretty good portion of my college friends, but it's not the same. We don't live together anymore. We don't see each other every day and go out every weekend. One of the best decisions I ever made was joining Alpha Omicron Pi my freshman year of college.

I went to the U of M and instantly hated it. I hated living in the dorms, so I moved home and commuted to  school. I thought the campus was too big and there were too many people. How was I ever going to make friends? My Aunt was in a sorority at the 'U' so she and my grandma were pushing me to rush. I had absolutely no interest in sororitys. I thought they were stupid, I had heard all the stereotypes. One of my roommates (for the short time I was in the dorms) decided to rush and so did my very best friend, Libby. Turns out, both of them joined the same house. I would hear their stories and I began to get jealous and curious. Through open recruitment I went bowling with a bunch of the A-O-Pi's. When I think back to the girls that were bowling that day, I laugh, because now half of them are some of my best friends. I ended up signing a bid card three days later and I never looked back.
 All the women I joined with, our senior year during Sweetheart Week

A-O-Pi not only introduced me to some amazing women within the sorority but I also met incredible people who were not in my house. As I mentioned last Thursday, I spent a lot of my time at Delta Chi fraternity. Some of these boys will be my close friends forever and some of their girlfriends (at the time) are and always will be my closest friends.
My non-A-O-Pi girlfriends that I never would have met without A-O-Pi

A-O-Pi gave me a community within the gigantic U of M. I made so many wonderful friends within the Greek community that the school no longer seemed so big. It also gave me a way to get involved and get the most out of college. Plus, my social schedule was so jam packed with fun that college just flew by...which I guess is good and bad. I loved that no matter what I was in the mood to do there was always someone who was in the mood to do it too. I always had a shopping buddy, a date to a movie, or a pal to get drinks. 

I have been missing A-O-Pi so much lately that I have decided to join the Alumnae Advisor Counsel. It's a group of "old" A-O-Pi's and we meet once a month and basically advise the collegiate members. I am going to be the Social Advisor (could not be more excited about that) so I will be the go-to-gal for the chapter's social chair. I will help her with whatever planning/rules/approval she needs to organize formals and exchanges. I will also chaperone and/or find chaperones for the events. I am so excited to get re-involved! Plus, a couple of my really close friends are on the AAC which means I get to see them at least once a month no matter what, which is a definite bonus!

If any of you wonderfully crazy sister friends are reading this....I love you. I miss you. And thanks for some of the best memories that I will never forget!

12 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm the same way. I miss all my old roommates but I've made a point to stay in touch with them and they are still some of my best friends.

That's so awesome that you can get involved post-college. :)

Charbelle said...

It truly is such a wonderful community!! There's an award for you over on my blog :)

cbalgaard said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Kara Frank said...

That's awesome - I'm the new Philanthropy adviser! Guess Kelly got both of us! We'll have fun though!

cbalgaard said...

Kristin, once again, this is amazing. This morning I thought, "I better check in with Kristin's blog and see what's up." Well, your blog on your sorority truly enlightened me. Like you, I had a stereo-type of fraternities and sororities. Kudos to you for showing me that, yes, they can be beautiful AND smart AND philanthropic AND help make campuses and their community a better place!!

JoJo said...

Nothing like good girlfriends!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

I agree with JoJo!

Liesl @ FabulousFashions4SensibleStyle said...

What fun pictures...love them! College always brings such good memories and it looks like you had a great time!

Liesl :)

John said...

birkenstocks
cheap jordan shoes
canada goose parka
michael kors
timberland outlet
celine outlet online
hermes bags
kate spade outlet online
salvatore ferragamo shoes
north face jackets
20161228yuanyuan

jeje said...

michael kors outlet
adidas stan smith
yeezy boost
nike air max 2016
jordan retro
nike air max 2017
air jordan shoes
true religion
cheap jordan shoes
reebok outlet
yeezy

chenmeinv0 said...

christian louboutin shoes
longchamp bags
longchamp bags
michael kors outlet online
coach outlet store online
cheap mlb jerseys
ray bans uk
nike roshe run shoes
montblanc pen
jordan shoes
chenyingying201703013

Unknown said...

jordan shoes
christian louboutin outlet
coach outlet
air max 90
gucci outlet online
coach outlet
nike roshe run
louis vuitton
lacoste outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
20170523ck