Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Night at the Theater

Please hit PLAY before reading this post:

As you may recall, I made a Birthday/Christmas wishlist in the beginning of December and the number one thing on my list this year was tickets to The Lion King. 

I have been lucky enough to see the show twice on Broadway and I am so in love with it. 
2007
When I saw that the show was coming to Minneapolis I spazzed! Poor Jason did not hear the end of it! 

My lovely husband is NOT a theater person. I love the theater! I've been to I think 8 shows on Broadway and another handful in town. While I would love to go to every show that comes to Minneapolis, I know that Jason would be miserable sitting through any of them. EXCEPT THIS ONE! He loves the movie and I swore to him that if he took me he would actually like it. 

All the begging and pleading paid off because when I opened my birthday gift.....
...Husby not only got us tickets to the show, but they're in the second row AND got me the movie on BluRay! 
Best husband ever? I THINK SO! 

Only bad part about the gift...I had to wait 50 days to see the show! 

After 50 not-so-patient days, January 31st finally arrived! It was one of the most fantastic date nights we've ever had! 

We started the night at one of our favorite restaurants The Capital Grille. 
We shared a bottle of wine and I ordered the ONLY thing I ever order at Capital Grille---the Filet Oscar!
Sooooo yummy!!!

After a delicious dinner we crossed the street to the Orpheum Theater. 
I knew our tickets were right up front but I didn't really comprehend what that meant until we sat down and the show started. It was just as magical and incredible and memorizing and fabulous as I remembered it to be. And once again I cried during the opening scene...3 for 3. 

AND, as I suspected, Jason loved it! During intermission I asked him what he thought and he said "All I can think about is how much Brody {his best friend's 2 year old son} would love this." 
PULL AT MY HEARTSTRINGS! 

While I realize that photos during a show are strictly prohibited, I couldn't contain myself and just had to snap this super quick picture of the cast at the end of the show. 
How amazing are those seats?!?!

And finally, a pic of me and my hubby!
Thanks for an incredible birthday present and one of the best date nights of all time--let's do it again! 

16 comments:

Crystal said...

Looks like a fabulous date night! That is one play that is on my list as well and I hope it comes my way. My sister lives in Minneapolis and she was talking about going as well.

Glad you had a great time :)

Teeballhottie said...

Was a great night, love ya babe!

Katie said...

That was such a good show - I was there the same night! My boss ended up getting sick and couldn't use his tickets.. so I stepped in.. such a rough job, ha!

Katie said...

yay yay! glad you went with that outfit! :) so cute!

I want those seats!!

Corinne said...

oh my gosh what an amazing night you all had! I keep trying to convince Russ that he would like that musical. I've never seen it, but I've been to two musicals (Wicked and Mamma Mia) and I would love to finally take him with me to one! Maybe telling him that your hubby enjoyed it will convince him to give it a chance!

Caroline said...

How fun?! I saw it in London and then Fred and I saw it in NYC and it was amazing. I was surprised that Fred actually liked it too. So glad y'all had a great time and not to mention awesome tix!

Ashley said...

Oh that would be SO fun! If they bring the show to Winnipeg I just might have to go!

You both look so cute together :-)

Carolyn said...

YAY! :) Good job Jason! :)

Jessica said...

Sounds like an awesome birthday present!

Young and Fabulous said...

FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC!!!

i loved this show and i loved this date! i cried too in the opening...omg it was just so MOVING and intense and the music! AH!

J is such a great hubby! how adorable!! :-)

Hakuna Matata

xoxox

Megan said...

I saw The Lion King when I was younger on Broadway & would give anything to see it again so I can remember it!! My Mom took me the day before Christmas Eve to see Beauty & the Beast on Broadway, 3 rows back, center stage...I literally cried & was more excited than all the little girls that were there dressed as Belle!

Kristen @ All In My Twenties said...

I LOVE LION KING!!!!!

Miss K said...

it's an amazing show!! one of my faves

ajs {of MN} said...

fun date! i love the lion king, i have been to the show three times as well!

Bride-onicles said...

Awww How sweet, what a wonderful birthday surprise and date night!!

MIL said...

I love the the line in the song "He watches over everything we see". Very moving. Orpheum is so nostalgic, been there a few times, last was w/Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall, DIL liked that but musicals he is not a big fan either. Lion King rules though.