Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wedding Recap {The Personal Attendant}

Word of advice to all you brides out there....make sure you have a kickass personal attendant. 

Robyn and I have been friends since college and I knew that there was no other person who could be my personal attendant. She knows me SO well, she knows what makes me happy or sad or angry and she somehow always knows exactly what to do to help my mood. On top of that she is organized, she cares about me, she is loyal, and she knows every one of our parents {super helpful during family photos}. 

I honestly don't know what I would have done without Robyn that day. She was beyond a ROCK STAR. 
It was Robyn's idea to meet the week of the wedding to go over all the details of the day. Because I work in printing, I was able to whip up a book of wedding day information for Robyn, my photographer, videographer and my mom. 

Side Note: I HIGHLY recommend doing this. I think it's super important that you (the Bride) are not the only person to know all of the day-of details! The book had vendor's phone numbers, families phone numbers, wedding party phone numbers, an itinerary, a list of venue addresses, and a list of must-take photos. It was a huge help!

Anyways, we met the week of the wedding and went over ALL the details so that she knew exactly how I wanted the day to go. The first thing Robyn did Saturday morning was take my cell phone. She fielded all phone calls and made sure that there was nothing to stress me. I literally didn't have to worry about a single thing! 
On top of making sure that I didn't receive any calls, complaints or questions she also came up with the most perfect way to tackle my biggest wedding day fear----crying the whole damn day. 

I was so nervous about being a blubbering mess the whole day and Robyn created the smartest, sweetest, most brilliant and most hilarious way to make sure that didn't happen. 

Enter: The Laugh Book
The first time I felt like I could lose it is when I put my dress on. Out of nowhere I have this book in my hands. Robyn talked to all of my bridesmaids and complied a hand-drawn book of all my funniest inside jokes, quotes and memories with all of my friends. 
She would only let me look at a few pages at a time...to make sure she had reserves for the rest of the day. 

It worked every time...in the elevator on my way to the First Look, before the ceremony....no fear....laugh book was there! Brilliant!

Some people think that being the personal attendant isn't as "important" as being a Bridesmaid, but I completely disagree. My entire wedding day went perfectly because I had complete and utter trust in one of my best friends. I knew she had my back no matter what happened that day. But more than that, Robyn got to be a part of one of the most incredible moments in my life. The wedding party was down the aisle and the doors closed. It was me, my dad and Robyn standing there...seconds before I was about to walk down the aisle. Something I had been dreaming of since I was a little girl. 
I wouldn't trade that moment with her for anything. And to top it off, she had saved the best Laugh Book picture for last....right before I walked down the aisle when I was nervous, emotional and about to completely let the tears fly Robyn opens that last page to reveal a picture of my ex-boyfriend crying tears of black. Funniest thing I'd ever seen. 

Moral of the story. Make sure you have an incredible friend by your side on your wedding day. 

All photographs by Sara Jayne Photography.


19 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds like an amazing friend you have there!

sprinklesoneverything said...

What a great story and a special friend!

XO
Emmy
www.sprinklesoneverything.wordpress.com

Carolyn said...

This is seriously so sweet!!! :) Robyn did an AMAZING job!!!

Schnelle said...

That is such an incredible story. You're one lucky girl! The laugh book is a brilliant idea; I'll definitely keep that in mind for my friends:)

Becky said...

I completely agree! My personal attendent took care of so many details the day of I did not even think about until she already handled them.

Syndal said...

what an amazing idea to have a laugh book!! I have to tell my MOH about this!

Kelly said...

Awww, this is SO cute! Love it. The Laugh Books is a genius idea. A bride has SO many nerves the day of the wedding and what better way to get rid of them but with a million or two laughs??

Katie said...

OMGosh I've never heard of this!!!!!!!!!!! What a good idea! Seriously really good. You looked beautiful of course. Did you gain some readers from your guest post on my blog?! Hope so!!!!!

xoxox
can't wait for our BLOGGER meetup come May!

ajs {of MN} said...

the laugh book is a GREAT idea- way to go PA!!

MIL with love said...

Robyn is an awesome person! Me and DIL just love her! AND I am glad you had a nice Valentine's Day, he is a good guy with a great heart (I know him pretty well), and I might add... quite attractive. BUT you both are a beautiful family includng Bailey Mae Grandma's sweetheart! I am sooo impressed and proud of you both! THANK YOU!

P.S. You are going to Ohio? FUN!

Kristin said...

I need to figure this part out still...

Sami said...

The laugh book thing is genius! Where did she get that idea?? I love it so much!

Samantha Lynne said...

Love all your wedding pics so far! Just gorgeous. I cannot wait to get mine back!
xo
Samantha

betterblondesam.blogspot.com

Britt said...

So sweet! I didnt have a personal attendent but now I wish I wouldve!! :)

Jess@BeingMrsBeer said...

That is the sweetest! I so wish I would have done this!!!

Stephanie said...

LOVE this!! I would have never thought to had a "personal attendant"! The laugh book is priceless. What a great friend!!

Bre said...

That is amazing!!! And totally awesome!

Bride-onicles said...

That is totally a GREAT Idea!! Robyn sounds AWESOME..and the laugh book, insanely amazing!

Nicole-Lynn said...

Aw that's awesome!