Friday, February 3, 2012

What Unexpectedly Changed Your Life?

Today I am linking up with the simply stunning Tracy from Then I Got to Thinking for her "Tell Me" series! This week's question is "What Unexpectedly Changed Your Life?" 
I had a tough time coming up with a topic...the first thing that came to mind was when Jason and I started dating. But while it did change my life, and it was unexpected it was something I had wanted all my life {yes, I've known him my whole life} and I've already told that story...read it here

Then I thought about something that has happened in my life that was completely unexpected...and BAM, there was my topic. My parents got divorced when I was ten and a little over a year later my dad got remarried. Neither event really shook my world. My parents were always really good about keeping their stuff separate and not letting it affect my brother and I. 

What I wasn't expecting, however, was when my dad told my brother and I that he and my step-mom were having a baby. I didn't know what to think. I didn't really want another kid around...I was jealous, and nervous and worried about what this meant for my place in the family. The nine months flew by and it was fun watching my step-mom's belly grow. Because they didn't have a name for the baby we lovingly nicknamed her "boo" which stemmed into other nicknames like "booey" and "boodgie." I still call my baby sister Boodge. 

I will never forget the day my sister was born.  June 12th, 1997, I was packing up my childhood bedroom. My mom had sold the house we grew up in and we were moving to another city. I was moving away from my childhood friends and would be starting a new school. To say that my world felt upside down would be an understatement. I was 12...think of when you were 12. 12 years old is not a fun age for girls and being that I have NEVER been good at change, this was all a lot for me. Anyways, I was pulling my Blossom posters off the wall {no joke} and the phone rang...it was my dad...I had a baby sister. 
I absolutely hate to admit that I wasn't excited. I was too caught up in all the changes happening in my life.

The first few months were difficult, as I imagine they always are with a newborn. But as Kara turned in to a baby and then in to a toddler, it was kind of fun. Babies are cute and funny and it was cool to be a big sister. 
It hasn't always been easy being 12 years older than my sister. I mean, we've obviously always loved each other but 12 years is a big age gap and has been frustrating at times. 
But the past few years I have noticed a significant change in our relationship. While our lives are at completely different stages...hello, newlywed vs high school student, I have noticed that we have much more in common. We're closer than ever. 
I have always loved my baby sister but I am so happy that we now get to have that real sister relationship. I have the opportunity to be a role model and set an example for her and that means more to me now than ever. I am so proud of Kara, I love her to pieces, I would truly do anything for her and will beat the crap out of anyone who hurts her. 


11 comments:

Schnelle said...

That's a really cute story. My brothers and I are 7 and 8 years apart (I'm the oldest) so for the longest time it was hard for me to have that sibling bond/relationship until recently. I'm married, they're dating but we have a lot to talk about now and we can finally relate to eachother; so I know exactly what you mean. As the years pass, the gap will decrease more and more.

Jess@BeingMrsBeer said...

I love this post and so know how you feel about your sister. My parents had a hard time getting pregnant after me, so I have three sisters way younger than me - I'm 28 and they are 19, 18, and 15. I definitely have noticed as they got older we got closer and had more in common. We're just now starting to be able to have real conversations and it finally truly feels like we're sisters. I love them so much and can't wait to see where our relationships go!

Carolyn said...

I love this story!!! I never knew why you called her Boodge! I LOVE IT!!! :) She's such a gorgeous young lady, and is lucky to have such an amazing sister looking out for her!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post my dear. You are an important role model for sure. xo m

Ashley said...

It's great you guys have grown together - I can only imagine how tough it would be to have such a massive change in your life.

Very sweet post!

Jessica said...

Sounds like you two have a great relationship now! Sisters are the best.

Lourdes Echagarruga said...

I definitely understand how you are feeling. I am 1 of 7 children. I am 23 and my "full" sisters are 21 and 18. Then, Comes the half siblings. My half brother is 12. I have two half sisters. One is 4 and the other was born in December. It's crazy. I love them to death, but there is such a huge age gap between us. I could be the mother of all of my half-siblings.

I am looking forward to seeing how our relationships pan out.

Love this post!!!!

XO Lourdes

Ruthie Hart said...

I loved reading this Kristin....my parents are still married yet I have watched multiple friends parents and family friends go through divorces growing up. Funny thing, my brother is 10 years younger than me (and I am not even the oldest!). Same parents, just took them a while hehe. I love the age difference, it is such a fun dynamic and I am sure you can agree that you are kind of protective over your sis :)

MIL said...

That is really an adorable baby picture of her. Life is all about love and family. Miracles of birth. AND you and J are my unexpected precious blessings.

Bre said...

So sweet! BTW, I watcher her Kick Team vid the other day and it made me miss performing so much!

Kristin said...

So sweet. Both gorgeous girls!