Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mommy & Me Chili

Now that Kenley has pretty much free reign to eat any and all foods our life at home is way simplified. I absolutely love that I am able to make dinner for Jason and I and create a Kenley meal out of what we're having! A couple of weeks ago I made my first batch of Chili for the fall which meant Kenley got her first taste as well.
I start by chopping up my veggies - onion, carrots and celery. I move all the veggies to a large pot, cover them with Beef Broth and let simmer until the veggies are soft. While those are softening I brown my 1lb of ground turkey in a tsbp of olive oil. Once browned I add it in with the veggies, followed by a can of drained black beans and a can of drained kidney beans. I then add a 16oz can of low sodium tomato sauce and let everything simmer for about 5 minutes. It's at this point that I scoop out Kenley's portion. Jason and I like our chili spicy, so I get her nice baby friendly chili taken care of before seasoning. To finish the grown-up chili I add two packets of McCormick's Chili seasoning {usually one packet of hot and one packet of mild} and then continue to season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Chipotle Tobasco and garlic to taste. Finally, I top off the chili with some grated cheese, crispy French Fried Onions and green onions.

Delicious! And Kenley loved it too!


Don't forget to link-up every Tuesday!!

7 comments:

The Bennetts said...

I never thought to put crispy French Fried Onions on top of chili, but I'm definitely going to have to try it next time - looks delish!

~Dawn~ said...

Looks yummy!!

Ashley Brickner said...

YUM!!!! We make chili all the time but I was a little nervous about giving some to Waverly! I am definitely going to try!

wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

Erin LFF said...

Yum yummmmm! I love chili, I'm going to have to save your version of it- sounds delish!

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Yum, chili is the best. Also, I miss when my child would eat anything. haha

ajs {of MN} said...

yumm! we were just talking about how we have yet to make a batch of chili this year!

Courtney B said...

This sounds like the yummiest chili!! Definitely going to make it!
How does Kenley handle the beans? I feel like they make Mia super gassy, like it's almost kind of painful for her :(