Wednesday, September 23, 2015

So, I Have a Garden

While moving into the new house, we noticed two garden beds filled with vegetables. For those of you who know me in real life, you can stop laughing now. I have what I call a "black thumb" because I literally kill every plant or flower I touch. I know nothing about growing plants or maintaining a garden but I have to admit, it's kind of fun finding the veggies growing in there! And Kenley LOVES it! She has a little watering can and gets so excited to find new "gween beans". 
The other day I got a wild hair and started picking weeds from the garden {yes, I actually knew which ones were weeds} and pulling up anything that appeared to be dead. I've got to admit it was kind of fun! So now I'm over here googling garden information and trying to figure out what I want to grow next summer! I also think I need to find myself some fancy little gardening gloves because I am still picking dirt out my nails. 
I know, I know...who am I?
I try to eat primarily organic and it doesn't get much more organic than making snacks from food you found in your backyard! In the current garden we have carrots, onions, squash, green beans, corn {yes corn}, cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley. I think next summer it would be fun to do a fruit bed and a veggie bed - maybe do some raspberries and strawberries and definitely some peppers! I think I might try dill too, because I put dill on everything! 
Do any of you have fruit or veggie gardens? I'd love to know how much time you spend maintaining it and any tips you have for a newbie!  I guess by next summer you can just call me farmer Kristin! 




7 comments:

Jess Beer said...

So, I've heard you mention the black thumb before, so definitely funny :)

I've done herbs and simple stuff like tomatoes and peppers in the past - and LOVE having that! We wanted to build garden beds but couldn't for this year, so I did some container gardening instead. Cooking Light magazine did a series this year in every issue about what to plant, and that info may be on their website - I liked it because it gave options for both containers and garden beds. Good luck :)

And I can't get over how big Kenley is! When did our babies get so big?

Erin LFF said...

Holy cow!! You have CORN?! That is amazing! Also, I have a black thumb as well- have we discussed this?! Haha- I'd love to give gardening a try but I'd have to start SUPER small I think. My Grandpa always had a tomato garden and since he passed I've been wanting to give it a try. I'll have to do my research though... it's intimidating!!

P!nky said...

Girl your garden haul is pretty freaking fabulous. I can't wait to have a garden when we have the space, we just grow herbs in pots right now, haha.

And lil KK is so precious, she looks like the best lil helper. I can't believe she's so big, it seems like yesterday I was just following you being prego my eggo! :)

BLovedBoston said...

Oh my gosh how wonderful to have your own garden that grows such amazing stuff!! I'd do anything for some outdoor space LOL! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

Unknown said...

Oohhh fun ! we have a garden on our patio in pots and then we maintain my husbands parents yard garden too - it is so fun and rewarding but yes, hard work too - definitely get some gloves :) I buy a new pair every season. I would add some peppers, zucchini, and basil if you have the room ! And yes - strawberries are easy and yummy !

Unknown said...

What did you do with my Kristin!? You will love growing stuff and mou is already a little farmer. Save me a tomato! xo m

ajs {of MN} said...

i think youre good to go as long as there inst a huge threat of deer or racoon to enjoy your garden overnight before you can get to it in the morning. you grow them gween beans! ;)