Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mama Needs Some Help

You guys I am in a rut. Lately I've been feeling so blah and haven't been able to pinpoint why. Finally I've opened my droopy little eyes and realized it's because I look like a hot fricken mess.

When I daydreamt about being a mom, I always thought of myself looking something like:
I always said that I would still put on make up and get dressed for the day even if I had nowhere to be. I figured myself to be a person who kept a spotless house despite the mass amounts of toys and the mass amounts of time spent at work - not at home. 

Nearly 10 months in and I'm accepting the fact that I look more like:

I'm struggling to find the energy and motivation to "do it all". 

Of course I want my house to be clean. Of course I want to cook myself and my husband a delicious and healthy dinner every night. Of course I want to always remember to put on deodorant. 

I know I am a good mom. I think I'm a pretty decent wife. But right now, I am a terrible Kristin. My confidence is at like a 2 and it's time I do something to change that.

In past months I've set some goals for myself to help me take better care of ME but I think they were just a little too lofty and not a single one has been accomplished. So, this month I am setting a couple of little goals to help make steps towards taking better care of myself and getting my "momjo" back.
{oh Giuliana, how do you do it?}

1. Get a damn haircut. I will not be getting a mom-cut but I do desperately need to do something with this gnarly mane situated a'top my head. 

2. Get some fresh air and burn some cals. There is no reason why I can't take 30 minutes out of my lunch break each day to enjoy a little walk. This month I would like to do this a total of 10 times - not asking a lot Kristin! 

3. Revive the wardrobe. Ideally I would go on a massive shopping spree and replace everything in my closet but if I had that kind of money I would just hire a maid and a chef and all my problems would be gone. The goal on this one is to treat myself to a couple of new outfits and/or items to liven up my wardrobe. 

4. Spend 15 minutes cleaning each day. Our place isn't that big and we aren't that messy so realistically if I just spent 15 minutes after putting Kenley to bed picking up or dusting or folding laundry our house would be in much better shape. 


Alright people. Wish me luck. If I can't achieve these teeny little goals this month then I might as well accept that I'm on the fast track to mom-cut and house coat. 



20 comments:

Jess Beer said...

I feel you - this is me too. I'm so guilty of putting everyone else's needs above my own, and nothing ever seems to get done...case in point, we moved 6 months ago and there are still boxes in our bedroom. Yikes.

Nikki said...

You are an amazing mother! I am sure you are a great wife too! Take some time to find yourself again I am sure it would be in the best interest of you and your family! Just remember you are AWESOME!

Jessica said...

Totally totally know what you mean. I've recently hit up the outlets for some new work pants and it's AMAZING how different I feel. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week before picking Noah up and I NEED that me time.

On board with you mama!

Oh, and I'm getting my hair cut Monday for the first time since I got preg :P

Unknown said...

Definitely take time for yourself. It is amazing what a haircut and few new wardrobe updates can do to make a woman feel good. Sounds like you put so much effort into your family and home, it's good that you are making yourself a priority too!

Anonymous said...

With all you do I think you are amazing. Cannot picture you with a mom cut so please work on that. I stopped setting goals and I feel better about it. Very important to find time for yourself and celebrate little achievements even if it is folding laundry. xo m

Leslie said...

Totally understand!! I am only 15 weeks in and already feel like this. I need to start working out and start shopping for myself a little and not always the baby!

Caroline said...

I know exactly how you feel. It's hard to juggle it all. No matter what, you're beautiful inside and out.

Nat said...

It's hard to balance it all- plus if you have a free half hour who wants to spend it cleaning?! I think the 15 mins a day is a great idea and I think all your goals are realistic

Kari said...

Even though I'm not a mom yet one thing I find very helpful in reaching goals is baby step goals put in front of me. I like to put the baby steps on my bathroom mirror towards a goal. Last summer, in trying to lose weight I put up my current weight and then each pound, all the way down to my goal. Every time I lost a pound, I took the number off the mirror. I've done this with a few other things too.. laundry (darks, colors, whites), cleaning the house (name each room to tackle). For me, this is really helpful. A visual reminder of what I have accomplished is super helpful!!

You are an amazing mama and I know Jason adores you- seeing your little family together shows anyone that you've got it all together! If the house doesn't get cleaned, laundry doesn't get done, dinner doesn't get made... not nearly as important as the love you guys share-- and that is evident that you guys have that! You're doing great!!

P!nky said...

First you are a rockin mama and wifey!

2nd I can understand using your energy on everything else but YOU, however you do need to feel good. I think a new haircut is just the ticket. Get some new highlights, try a new part, something snazzy!

And I agree, getting a few lil wardrobe pieces will liven up stuff too.

once it gets nice, take lil kenley on a walk after din din for family time and exercise!

xoxo

Carolyn said...

If you get a mom cut... I don't know that you can still be a beeb. So there's that. :) But I think you're a hottie and an awesome Kristin just the way you are, but I totally get it! I think a fresh cut, some new clothes and some "Kristin" time will do you wonders! And Beebo snuggles. That will help too.

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

Good luck girl! I know you can do it =0) Keep your chin up and focus on your goals. Be happy you have your hubs and adorable baby girl who will love you no matter if the house is messy! xoxo

Schnelle said...

It's so hard to find that balance. I'm still struggling to find it too! Such a relatable post! Buying new things does make you feel better- just did some shopping this weekend and I definitely feel revived. However, I still enjoy shopping for Aubrey more than myself!

Laura said...

This sounds like some fantastic goals..and totally doable! I can see how it would be so easy to get into a frenzied "rut" with a kid...it's so easy to think that we'll manage it all with no problems...but not entirely realistic. good luck!

WinterBenson said...

I have a 'cleaning' schedule. I have a few things that need to be checked or done every day, and then a room to tackle every day. It really helps. I can check it off when i've finished and feel like I've accomplished something.

Sara Holt said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm so glad I did. I couldn't relate any more to you! Since having my baby, I feel like I need a grip on myself. I feel like I do a good job at home for my daughter and hubby but not for myself. At least you and I aren't the only ones! Good luck with your goals!

Emily said...

I could copy and paste your exact same goals to my blog. Seriously, I am struggling finding my momjo. I need to work on that. These, what seem to be little, goals will make a world of difference!

ajs {of MN} said...

this is SO true! i was a hormonal WACK-JOB all last week and i KNOW it's b/c i am slacking on being ME!!!??? with fall i will be able to get back on my workout plan etc...

this ring so true for me too, perfect post! (glad i'm reading it like a YEAR late!) ;)

Jill @ Capri + Co. said...

I love these baby step goals! I am not a stay at home mommy-- but maternity leave for 3 months was an eye opener. Holy crap it is hard! I felt not myself too.. But it is harder than it seems to put on make up, get dressed, and even get out of the house an a lot of days! A new hair cut and a new outfit will do wonders! Great that you are working on getting YOU back! You will feel so much better!

Bre said...

I think these baby steps are perfect! Good luck!