Friday, January 17, 2014

Weight Loss Is Hard

If you follow me on twitter you know that, as of the first of the year, I am on a quest to change my lifestyle, get in shape and lose the extra weight I've been carrying since Sophomore Year of college. I feel better than ever, I'm more motivated than ever BUT this ish is hard. My problem is that I want instant gratification, the whole "it takes time to look great" is some bs. 
Ecard of the Day | #Funny #dieting #ecard

But then I'll see a photo like this:
and feel inspired to keep at it, even though I'm impatient. 


I often think that maybe I'm not doing enough or not doing it right. I have to be realistic with how much I work out because I am a mom and work full time and just don't have the luxury of being in the gym for hours every day {if you consider that a luxury - yuck}. But then I'll see something like this:
and I'm reminded that any activity is good and better than what I was doing before! 


When I'm craving an entire box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese I look to something like this: 
and I feel proud that I've made certain changes to my diet and can really feel the effects. Similarly, when I do allow myself to indulge a little, I feel like crap. It makes me happy to know that I'm starting to make healthy decisions because I WANT to not just because I HAVE to to lose weight. 


Then, I'll see a photo like this: 
and it makes me feel really proud of the progress I've made so far {7 pounds as of Tuesday}. BUT, I don't SEE the results yet. I guess it's just proof of the weight I need to lose, if I can ditch 7 of those blobs and not even tell the difference, I clearly am doing the right thing by trying to slim down. I shouldn't say I can't tell the difference because my clothes are fitting better, I am feeling better and have tons more energy BUT I want to look in the mirror and be proud of the progress. Then I see a photo like this: 
and I take a deep breath and think, OK, it's only been 2 weeks and these changes take time. I tell myself to give it a little more time and I'm sure start to see the results. Results looking similar to this would be nice:


Of course the occasional awards help too. 


Can you tell I turn to Pinterest for my inspiration??? Hey, whatever works, right?

What's your motivation for getting and staying healthy?


15 comments:

Carolyn said...

You're doing awesome Beeb! :) Keep it up!

Nikki said...

Weight loss is no joke! Do your best thats all you can do! Fuel yourself with the best you can and supplement if you can. If you are ever interested in AdvoCare lemme know! It was life changing for me, Mr. Big Truck and many of our friends!

Jess Beer said...

7 pounds so far is awesome! You'll get there....now just get a fitbit so I can kick your butt in steps!

Sarah said...

This is perfectly motivating! I need to start hopping on the elyptical while Noelle sleeps but it is so tempting to curl up on the couch with my sweet pup instead. I'm in my SIL's wedding in October and the pic that says picture the body you always wanted a year from now, may need to be saved to my background! Thanks! :) Keep working gf!

Kari said...

Kristin you look awesome! One thing I am embracing these days is that my body will never be what it was before Colin. For goodness sakes- I housed a baby and birthed him out! I am SUPER WOMAN! HAHA! And so are you! One thing I do that keeps me motivated to lose these pounds is I put all the pound numbers up on the mirror in the bathroom and when I weigh in, in the morning, I can take a number down when I drop that pound. I've had the numbers up since about 2 or 3 weeks after Colin was born and slowly but surely they are coming down. I still have a few to go and a few more past that to get to my goal weight. But I get gratification every time when I get to take a pound down. I also workout with a good friend as often as possible- keeps me accountable to getting to the gym and making a workout worth the trip. Keep up the good work!! You're doing awesome (7 pounds is amazing!)!!!

hello erin said...

It's seriously SO HARD! And 7lbs is seriously awesome!! I'm jealous and impressed all at once!! I know about the motivation being hard when you don't see the results you want ASAP. I feel ya for sure ;)

Ashley said...

7 pounds?! Awesome job Kristin!!
My motivation is all those cute jeans and tops tucked away...that haven't seen the light of day in a long time!

Courtney B said...

Uuuuugh this is making me feel so bummed right now, ha! I haven't worked out much since the new year because life is just crazy and I've been sick... but that doesn't stop me from eating junk. Oops!
It's crazy how the mind plays tricks on us! Even though I've been in great shape (though I'd like to be able to run farther than I can right now) the past few months... I'm able to do more push ups in a row than ever before in my life (30! Crazy!) I still don't seem "oh so skinny" or totally "fit" or whatever! My mind just likes to beat me down! It's not until I compare pictures of myself that I'm able to see results. So be sure to take lots of pictures along the way and on the rough days you can look back on old pictures and see how far you've come!
You're a babe though, seriously!

P!nky said...

Giiiiiiiiiiirl keep it up, I know you're going to kick butt. I get frustrate with timing and I don't have a sweet lil baby to play with, so I can only imagine how tough it is for you.

Small decisions every day help you get there and you will! :)

Jessica said...

You can do it, friend! It's super hard - I'm right there with you - but worth it in the end. I'm not so much trying to lose the lbs as trying to just tone up but my patience level is so low and I get so discouraged when I don't see results immediately. Let's just commit to this working out thing together so we can be hot mamas! :)

Katie said...

haha, these pic references couldn't be more perfect. I am an instant gratification kind of person as well. My biggest piece of advice (even though I know you are rocking it and 7 lbs is amazing already) would be to once you hit your goal (bc you will), keep at it. go harder. don't stop! then it's more of a lifestyle change and at that point you will KNOW how to stick with it to maintain the results you want. maintaining is SO much easier. I will slack some weeks but make sure to get my butt hardcore in the gym after because once I go a while slacking I can feel it and it shows (to me). :) you're doing great things girly!

The Bennetts said...

7 pounds it awesome!! I got a fitbit one for Christmas that tracks my steps, stairs, miles, active minutes, etc. each day and wow has that made a difference for me. My goal has been 10,000 steps a day and boy oh boy has this goal gotten me moving. I try to get my 10,000 in before I leave work for the day which means I leave for meetings 5 mins early to walk the halls and take the stairs btwn buildings and floors. I have also put 2 meetings on my calendar that are dedicated to walking the halls and going up/down 8 flights of stairs. I feel better and am much more productive at work when I take a 15-20 min break at 10am and 2pm. Hopefully I'll begin to see some results in the next week or so!! Keep it up your doing great so far!!

Katie @ yellowmangolife.blogspot.com said...

First and foremost, you look amazing. However, thanks for this! It is so fitting for me - I am my biggest critic and I stand in my own way of getting what I want. Good luck on your journey...you will do great!

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

7 lbs is amazeballs. For me - I don't notice until I hit 10 lbs. Then it's a size down and people notice too. I want that body of the girl in the Nikes. To die for.

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

The girl in the gray shorts and lighter gray sports bra is "technically" my boss! :) She is the owner of the barre studio where I teach. Try not to focus so much on the #, focus on changes in your body, how your clothes fit different, etc. I know that's easier said than done, so sorry for probably being a broken record.