Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Love Your Lady Doctor

I've been seeing the same OBGYN since the first time I went to the OBGYN, which I think was when I was 14 or 15? It pretty much happened by default because I just went where my mom went and it worked out great that I loved my doctor. 

I didn't realize how lucky I was to have such an incredible doctor until I started hearing horror stories throughout the years. Each time any of my friends would tell me one of these stories I'd ask "Why don't you find a new doctor?" Going to the OBGYN is such a personal thing, I just can't imagine letting someone I don't like or trust dig around down there.

As Americans we have the right and privilege {insurance willing} to choose our care-providers and as women and moms it is our responsibility to advocate for our health and the health of our family. So why on earth would you settle for someone you don't feel good going to? I just can't believe my ears when a woman says she doesn't feel comfortable or is scared to call her doctor's office or to ask her doctor a question! 1. That's their job and 2. That's what you're paying them for, ESPECIALLY when you are pregnant and SUPER ESPECIALLY when you are a first time mom. 

My super awesome doctor got me through endometriosis, my pregnancy  and delivered Kenley. And I love her so much for it. 

While I know not everyone is going to have that longstanding relationship with their lady doctor, at the VERY least you should feel comfortable and supported and cared for when you leave the office. You should never leave your doctor's office with more questions than when you came or with any concerns. So go find yourself a lady doctor you love!

And that concludes my PSA for the day.


7 comments:

Bridget said...

I love love love my lady doctor!!! When I moved away from home I had to find one. I did but didn't like her at all so I decided to finally change before I got pregnant and I am so glad I did. I get excited to see her.

Becky said...

Amen. I LOVE my doctor. I feel the d same way when people tell me their horror stories.

Ashley Brickner said...

Love this - I feel so lucky to absolutely LOVE my doctor so I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!! :)

Erin LFF said...

Preach it!! I really cannot imagine not loving my doctor either. It's about as personal as you can get when you go so you better be comfortable with them! I randomly picked a Dr off the internet when we moved and ended up LOVING her, which made everything so easy!

According to Jax said...

I just had to switch lady doctors because I'm pregnant - and my current one (I loved her) didn't deliver at the hospital of our choice. Sooooo I switched. So I'm starting to rebuild that relationship....wish me luck!! :)

Laura Marie Keenan said...

Love this! My first OBGYN actually delivered me!!! And then he helped me with infertility and successfully conceiving Liam. Unfortunately I moved away (and he retired) because I would have loved for him to have delivered my baby too!

ajs {of MN} said...

I love my Dr he's a dude but serious I am so so sooooo sad to be moving away from my clinic... like I have no idea what i'll do.