Friday, October 23, 2015

ME Time!

So last week was a bit of a struggle fest around here. Kenley got sick - there was a fever, lots of coughing, so much mucus she barfed and very little sleep. We've been incredibly blessed that Kenley has never really been sick, in fact, this is probably the most sick she's ever been. I thought so often last week about the mamas who have terminally ill children or babies with sicknesses far worse than a bad cold and I honestly don't know how they do it. Of course, when your kiddo is sick, you rally. You do what needs to be done to get them better as fast as possible in the most loving way as possible. I'm sure that's the case for any mom whether it's a head cold or cancer. But having a sick kiddo is tough and exhausting and believe me when I say that I said a lot of prayers for those mamas with truly sick kids because it's hard to imagine how tough that would really be. 

While I was trying to remain grateful and count my blessings, I was also on the verge of checking into a hotel {not kidding}. I too started to feel under the weather and being that I am growing a human while caring for a sick human, I kind of lost my marbles. Kenley and I didn't leave the house for 4 days except for a 20 minute sidewalk chalk episode on the patio which resulted in a coughing fit because of chilly weather. I was exhausted and stir crazy and not feeling so hot and I needed OUT. Thankfully, my husband can see the implosion happening from a mile away and got through his work day super quickly to spend the whole afternoon with Kenley so I could do whatever it was that I wanted! I very seriously considered just sleeping the whole afternoon but knew that if I was at home it would likely not result in rest. And so...I got myself a coffee, got a new hairdo {6 inches gone and that postpartum regrowth is now FINALLY mixed in!!!}, got a little pedicure along with a manicure and did a little shopping. 

As if all that wasn't awesome enough, I also had plans to meet up with my high school girlfriends for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Rosa Mexicano, and a comedy show. We all grew up in a city called Edina {for those of you non-local readers, for those of you locals go ahead and call me a cake eater, it doesn't bug me} and there is a comedy show currently running that makes fun of our hometown. Edina is known for being a relatively wealthy part of town {though not everyone is filthy rich - believe me!} and gets a lot of flack and stereotypes as a result. The show was pretty funny - a little dumb, very silly, but we were definitely cracking up.  It really was making fun of wealthy housewives as a whole BUT there were some Edina specific one-liners in there that made the show for us. It was a perfectly refreshing girls night and a great way to spend some time out of the house.

As a busy mama it's so easy to let "you time" fall to the wayside, but it's so important! If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy, right?????




5 comments:

P!nky said...

Oh mama, I'm so glad you got your me time. SO awesome your husband recognized the explosion before it happened. Super sweet he gave you a me afternoon. LOVE Rosa Mexicano, we have one in DC and it is DIVINE! Happy friend, friend!

Jenn said...

I hope that things are going a little bit better and everyone is on the mend from the sicknesses!
Are you in Edina, MN? I was JUST there last weekend! We went to the Vikings game at the Gophers stadium on Sunday. So fun that you got to get together with your friends--and that show sounded pretty funny!
Hope you have a good, sick-free weekend!

Meghan said...

The only time Edina is called cake eaters is when they beat our HS hockey team, otherwise we had no problem with them :P

Erin LFF said...

Poor Kenley and Momma!! Hope everyone is feeling much better now and SO glad you got some quality pampering. You deserve it girl! Whenever I visit PLEASE take me to Rosa Mexicano, please and thank you :)

Angie said...

In total agreement with you! It is necessary for us mom's to have ME time! Glad you got some time out. Your so right, sick kids are so tough!