Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Simply Smithwick

Hi, everyone! I'm Caroline from Simply Smithwick and I am so honored to be guest blogging for Kristin while she's getting ready for her wedding!

Fred and I were married on April 5, 2008.  We aren't newlyweds but I can still remember that new "married" feeling!  It's awesome!  And I wish Kristin and her hubby a lifetime of happiness and love.  I hope their first three years will be as great as our's have been.






We have been married for three years, six months, and three weeks (just being technical). So, I'm not an expert, but I do know a little bit about it. And I certainly don't have the "perfect" marriage, but I love we love each other and we make it work!

Here are some tips I've learned along the way:

1. Marriage should not be entered into lightly. So many couples get wrapped up in the idea that they forget that this is a commitment.
Fred and I were engaged within 9 months of dating, but in our defense, we had known each other for over a year.
We were also in our mid-twenties (25/26). We had time to experience college and adult life with no regrets. But, each couple/relationship is different. You must find what works for you.
2. The best marriage is between two orphans. Family can cause friction within relationships, but you must always put each other first.
Fred and I are very close to both of our families. We all live within 5 miles of each other. Sometimes this is hard, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

3. Talk through your problems. Don't go to bed angry. Don't fight in the bedroom (it's only for sleeping and sex). Try to be sensitive to the other person's feelings. Try to understand both sides.
Fred and I always try to talk through our issues. We've been fortunate that through our journey to have a family, we've only grown closer. We talk about our frustrations and fears.

4. Laugh, listen and love. You're best friends and partners. Make it worth it.















Do you have any marriage advice?