Monday, November 19, 2012

Behind the Name.

A couple of months into my pregnancy I saw a tweet that had the name KENLEY in it. I don't remember who tweeted it, or what the tweet was about but I remember thinking "Ooooh, Kenley." I immediately texted it to Jason and he didn't completely hate it, which meant it was on the list.

I have always liked names that were slightly different. I knew I wanted a name that people could pronounce and people could spell, but I wanted a name that was unique. My early favorites were Avery, Harlow, Harper, Emerson and Kenley. Jason's favorites were Avery and Harper. 

I decided that Avery was getting too popular, a beautiful name, but too popular for me. And Harper, well it just doesn't flow with Fawver. Harper Fawver. It just doesn't sound right, plus, what if our daughter has a hard time saying her "Rs" like so many young kids do? "Hawpew Fawvew" Nope, I couldn't do that to her. 

I was sold on Kenley pretty early on, but Jason wasn't. It took a good 3-4 months before he committed to the name and that was only after I gave him a deadline to bring some new names to the table AND told him he was excused from breastfeeding class. 

I loved that it was uncommon but still easy to pronounce and spell and after looking up the stats on the name, I was even more excited about it. 

Plus, I had only ever heard of two people named Kenley...

Kenley Collins from Project Runway

-and-

Kenley Jansen a pitcher for the Dodgers. 
Our daughter most certainly was NOT named after either of these people (although Kenley Jansen is on Jason's fantasy team....so there's that). 

We just liked the name. 
Not the most heartwarming of tales, but that's how our peanut came to be named. 

Her middle name, Kouris (pronounced core-iss), however does have a lot of meaning. 
It's my mom's maiden name.  
My grandma and grandpa had two daughters, and after they were both married there was no one to carry on the family name. I have always had a special relationship with my Grandpa (my mom's dad) and such a special person deserves to be honored and live on through his future generations, so it was important to me that my baby could do that for him. Thankfully, Jason didn't have a choice agreed and our little angel was named KENLEY KOURIS FAWVER. 

This really had no effect on our decision but an added bonus is that her initials are KK and mine growing up were also KK, it's already become a nickname of hers and I love it! 

So there you have it. 


26 comments:

Carolyn said...

You know this already, but I LOVE Kenley Kouris Fawver! Such an adorable name!! :) Perfect fit for such an adorable baby!!

Nikki said...

What an adorable name! I also love that you are honoring your Grandpa through her! So sweet!

Bre said...

Love the name! It's unique and has special meaning without being ridiculous. Naming your child is a pretty big deal and not something that should be taken lightly. High 5 to you and Jason for coming up with a great one!

Erin @ Keep Calm and Sparkle said...

Love love love the name!! My BFF wanted McKinley and her hubs hated it so it became Kinley! :) I love names that are popular too. I warn my MIL that she will hate our child's name. LOL!!

Jessica said...

I adore her name!! It's beautiful!

Young and Fabulous said...

such a beautiful name! i have never heard it before which i LOVE! Unique names are deff a plus :-) and the meaning behind Kouris is too sweet. Love that you will be passing it down and hopefully more and more and more!

so excited for you mama bee!
xoxoxo

Erin said...

Kenley Kouris is SO PERFECT :) Love how you chose the name. I think it's SO cool when people incorporate family names :)

Katie said...

I love it so much girl!!! :) I need a K name too for our future daughter we don't have...lol! And I also want to incorporate my Momma's name in her name too! so many decision. #stressed hahaha jk!

~Dawn~ said...

So sweet. Kenley is adorable. I always love to hear how names 'came to be'. I love that you honored your grandpa with her middle name. We did the same with our second daughter. We named her Lillian-Cruz after my husband's grandma's last name "Cruz". If she were a boy his first name would have been Cruz.

P!nky said...

Adore the name girlie!

CONGRATS btw, I was cruisin' when you gave birth but texted your beeb when I had service.

WOOHOO!

My nickname growing up was KK too, so it's a good one!

Raquel said...

What a beautiful name! It's so unique and pretty! I've never heard it before

LacyLouise said...

Love the name Kenley!!! So exciting

Caroline said...

It's a beautiful name!

Kelly said...

LOVE the story!! And OF COURSE the name. I can't remember when we were at our first happy hour and discussing names, if the subject of Avery came into play? I've LOVED that name for 10+ years but it's just gotten too popular, I agree. And the vision about Hawwpah Fawvah?? Hilariously CUTE ;-D

But yes, Kenley is the most ADORABLE name. I know Kenly from Project Runway and although she wasn't Greg and my's favorite contestant, she was bubbly and funny.

LOVE the middle name too. Family is the best.

Lia Joy said...

I love it! Kenley has been on my baby names list for a while. So good choice :) And I love that you were able to use your mom's maiden name as her middle name! How special :)

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

Such a beautiful name! Love everything about it :) Hope you and Kenley are doing well!

Tickled Pink said...

It's such a beautiful name!! Love it. And Hawpew Fawvew is freaking hysterical. :) Hope you are doing well with this new little bundle!

Kristen said...

Love her name!

Kristin said...

AMAZING name!!

Kelsey said...

I love it! My initials are KK too! perfection! I think Harper would have been cute but your reasoning is a very good one! Besides this I think Emerson would have been another good choice.

Britni Kesselring said...

LOVE LOVE this name, believe it or not Kenley/Kinley was one of our top names if we had a girl.


CONGRATS!! She is adorable, so happy for you guys!

ajs {of MN} said...

i love her middle name and the meaning behind, so sweet!

KK as your nickname and now hers too- love it!

my little girl, Avrie ;) (love that name too) which is why, yes it popular, we went with a little different spelling to help make it NOT as... popular... i just loved the name the second i saw it (and at the time NO ONE was named avery- like at all!) so i didn't wait to give it up. Avrie Jo (my middle name is Jo, so someday maybe her friends will all call her AJ like they did for me in high school :)

also... Emerson is on my list of girl names if i am ever so lucky to have another baby doll! i absolutely LOVE that name!

Schnelle said...

What a great story. I love how you were able to incorporate your mom's maiden name. Mike and I are having a bit of a difference in opinion as far as the name goes too.

Gina said...

Love that name. That's the name my husband and I chose if we had a girl. Now that we've had a boy we'll be using it if we have a girl next time. Great choice!!!

Ashley said...

Beautiful story about the middle name - love her first name!!

Avery was our pick for a girl name if C was a 'she'!

Kristen said...

awwwwwwwwww i love the names and how you chose them!