Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Bucket List

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, I can officially begin thinking about Christmas! Even though it's been Christmas in the department stores for like 3 months already, I refuse to do anything Christmas related before Thanksgiving. This holiday season is going to be different than any holiday season I've had before - because now I have a kid! I'm so excited! Kenley was around last Christmas, but she was only 6 weeks old. 
 I miss that squishy little baby!

Since Kenley was so little last year we pretty much just stuck to our normal holiday routine, and I was so caught up in being a new mom I didn't even decorate the house - how terrible is that? This year I am so excited to start instilling some family traditions and celebrating the holiday season as it should be celebrated! S, I've put together a little holiday bucket list of all the things I'd like to do this year!

Go to the Holidazzle parade. The Holidazzle is a parade put on in downtown Minneapolis that I'd always go to when I was a kid. They announced earlier this year that this year will be it's last year. I am devastated, so I want to make sure to bring Kenley since this will be her only chance to go!

Buy a REAL tree! Since Jason and I moved in together we've been decorating a two foot tall mini tree that I bought for like $10, but this year that just won't do. I am so excited to go pick out a tree with my little family!

Watch Santa Bear's High Flying Adventure. Back in the day when the department store Dayton's was still around they would release a Santa Bear every year. And each year the Santa Bear had a theme. In 1987 Santa Bear was a pilot and when you bought the bear you got a movie along with it. My grandma collected these Santa Bears and gave me the movie - which I became OBSESSED with. I watched it so much when I was little the tape broke. My mom would always sing me the song from the movie and I now sing it to Kenley on a regular basis. My brother-in-law is helping me convert the VHS (which I bought on eBay) to a DVD so that we can watch it every year. Here's the song my mom sang to me and I sing to Kenley {go to the 4 minute mark, unless you want to watch the whole thing - which you should!}:


3rd Annual Holiday Bake Fest. The past two years Carolyn and I have gotten together for a night of holiday baking and we have so much fun! I love that we've made it a tradition and I can't wait for this year.

Start our own Christmas Eve tradition. Every year we run around like crazy people trying to see all 8 of our parents and their families, which is fun but exhausting. Now that Kenley's here we're going to have to switch up our plans a little to allow for our own family time. I have an idea that I want to implement every year on Christmas Eve that combines the traditions of both our families. I'm so excited!

Living Room Campfire / Christmas Movie Night! Jason and I love to pull our mattress downstairs into the family room to watch movies and fall asleep by the fire. It's my absolute favorite and I want to see if MAYBE we can get Kenley to fall asleep down there with us too. We already watched my all time favorite Christmas movie, Home Alone, on Thanksgiving night but I want to snuggle up and watch some other favorites like Miracle on 34th Street, The Santa Clause, and Elf.
Donate toys / books. It breaks my heart thinking of all the kids out there who don't get to celebrate a proper Christmas. This is the season of giving and those of us who are fortunate enough to celebrate this holiday need to give back. I'm looking forward to taking Kenley shopping and picking out some of her favorites to donate.

MEET SANTA! I have NO idea what Kenley will do or how she will handle meeting Santa but I sure am excited to find out!

Introduce Kenley to Santa Mouse. Growing up my FAVORITE holiday book was Santa Mouse, a story about a cute little mouse who becomes Santa's helper. Every year I would leave out cookies for Santa and a piece of cheese for Santa Mouse and this is something I DEFINITELY want to pass on to Kenley.

Spend time with family & friends. The most important part of the holiday season is spending time with the people you love. I look forward to spreading Christmas cheer and being jolly with all of my favorite people.

What's on your holiday bucket list this year?


Make sure to enter my giveaway to receive a FREE copy of the amazing novel, Prospice. 
Just click ---> HERE!

12 comments:

hello erin said...

Your going to have such an awesome holiday season!!! I might just move in for December!

Courtney B said...

LOVE your bucket list! Between Mia's first birthday and Christmas I was thinking I won't be making a bucket list because I'm kiiiiinda stressed out (about her birthday) but this is so fun I totally have to join in!
I can't wait to have Mia meet Santa! I've been seeing hilarious pictures of my friends baby's with Santa and I'm dying to know what Mia's reaction will be!
Also, that parade sounds AMAZING!

~Dawn~ said...

I just LOVE this time of year :) It's a great idea to create a bucket list of things to accomplish. I might have to do the same, just to be sure I fit it all in!

Ashley Brickner said...

Love this!!!! Like you, I refused to do anything Christmas related until after Thanksgiving! But now, it's full force! :)

wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You are one ambitious little lady!

P!nky said...

Those all look awesome! love the ELF gif too, borrowing for a post ;)!

That mouse book looks too cute.

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Love all these traditions/ideas! I'm super bummed about the Hollidazzle too. I'm also worried about fitting in everything in 3 short weeks!

Jess Beer said...

Love your list! Passing down favorites and traditions is the best!

Kassi said...

That's one of the things I am most excited to do with my daughter, celebrate holidays! This will be her first Christmas but she'll only be five months old. Next year will be more fun I'm sure.

Ashley said...

The cheese idea for Santa Mouse is too cute!!

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

Love this post! I am all about traditions and even though it will be me, B, and a newborn, we still plan on starting our own family traditions this year!

eliz said...

Oh wow I am going to try to find that book!!! :-) Looks super cute!