Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Belly {weeks 4-8}

The first few weeks were truly a whirlwind. After we found out {read yesterday’s post HERE} it took several days, if not weeks to really accept what was going on. Not because we weren't happy or excited but because it was so NOT planned and came as a complete shock.

Of course, first thing Monday morning I called my doctor’s office to schedule an appointment. Like most offices they don’t see you for a full exam until you’re 8-10 weeks along. I had been having some significant pain in my right side, which is actually pretty normal for me because of my history with endometriosis {read that whole story HERE} and so they suggested I come in for a blood test just to make sure the HCG {pregnancy hormone} was at a regular level. Two days later I had my blood test and everything came back normal, but because of my history with endometriosis they wanted to do an ultrasound just to be certain there wasn’t an ectopic pregnancy {when the baby doesn’t make it to the uterus and starts growing somewhere else, usually the fallopian tubes.} So the day after that, Jason and I went in for my first ultrasound.
I truly cannot describe the feeling of seeing that tiny little sac safely in the uterus where it belonged. As you can see it looked like nothing more than a white blob but knowing it was safe and healthy and actually SEEING it in there was so overwhelming. It was at that point that I fell in love and really felt like this was all happening.

On the ultrasound they did find a cyst on my right ovary that was leaking fluid and was what was causing the pain. I guess this is pretty normal and called a corpus luteum and is nothing to be concerned about. Just to be safe they scheduled another ultrasound for 10 days later which I was over-the-moon about, the more times I can go in and make sure that bambino is safe the better!

Other than that initial little scare everything has been going pretty great. I instantly starting doing the weekly bump-date journals and decided instead of sharing ALL of them, I would group them in to the first 4-8 week and then tomorrow will share the next 9-12, bringing you right up to date! J


Size of the baby?  
Started off as a tiny little poppyseed and grew to a plump little raspberry in just 4 weeks!

Total Weight Gain/Loss?  
The first couple of weeks I actually lost weight which I attribute to eating way healthier and not drinking. As of week 8, I have gained 1.2 pounds which puts me right on track according to the Weight Gain Calculator I have been using.

Maternity Clothes?  
I have been doing a lot of online browsing, but at this point I have just purchased one plain white tank from Old Navy and have yet to wear it.

Stretch marks?  
Not yet, thank goodness! I’m sort of hoping I am one of the lucky few who doesn’t get any…a girl can dream, right?

Best Moments?  
Week 4:  The complete shock of finding out wearing off, and getting excited.

Week 5: Telling some select friends and family. All the reactions have been pretty similar so far -- totally surprised, but excited and happy for us. It felt great getting it out to a few people...living with this kind of secret is HARD! 

Week 6: Getting baby’s first outfit!
My Beeb bought this for us! Seriously, how cute is that? 
It’s a onesie with matching burp cloth! 

Week 7: Seeing the heartbeat! Just knowing everything is OK in there is the BEST feeling ever! 
Week 8: Week 8 was kind of an emotional roller-coaster (damn those hormones) but my mom was in town from Arizona, so finally getting to see her and talk about the baby in person was really special. 

Movement? 
Umm, no. Not for a while still.

Food Cravings?  
The only major craving I have had so far has been for hummus and watermelon...not together, though that may be good. Oh, and Jimmy John’s, once I found out I couldn't eat deli meat I started to crave Jimmy Johns. And I guarantee it’s only the fact that I can’t have it that makes me want it so bad.

Anything making you queasy or sick? 
Thankfully, not really. I can no longer handle eating sausage or bratwurst…something about the casing really makes me gag. And then fresh veggies, they all taste dirty. I can handle frozen veggies but nothing fresh. 

What I miss?  
Truthfully there isn’t anything I miss terribly at this point. I mean, sure, I would LOVE a giant glass of Chardonnay or an ice cold Twisted Tea but I haven’t really gotten to the point where I’m dying to have anything yet.

What I'm looking forward to?  
I cannot wait to get in for my first full exam on April 13th. It’ll be my first time seeing my doctor, who has been my doctor since I was 13. I absolutely love her and know I’m in great hands. So having that appointment will be really reassuring and exciting.

Nausea/Vomiting?  
Praise the Lord, NO! I have had a couple of days where I felt really crappy and I was certain it was the beginning of morning sickness, but thankfully the next day I felt great and I haven’t felt too bad since. KNOCK ON WOOD, I continue to feel this good.

Labor signs?  
Not for a while, thank goodness! I’m just getting used to the idea of being pregnant, I’m going to need these next 7 months to accept that a baby is coming.

Gender? 
I have no idea, one minute I am sure it’s a boy and the next I am visualizing girl stuff everywhere…it’s just too soon to have a feeling one way or the other.

Belly Button In or Out?  
Eight weeks down and it’s still an innie.

Wedding rings On or Off?  
I have made it my personal goal to wear my wedding rings the entire pregnancy {again, wishful thinking}. But I’ve made it 8 weeks so how hard can 32 more weeks be? I know all you mamas out there are laughing at me right now.

Sleep?  
I didn’t know what tired was until I became pregnant. Holy Smokes! I can only imagine what its going to feel like down the road and after the nugget arrives. Needless to say I have been exhausted. I’ve been averaging an 8:30pm bed time but have hit the hay as early as 7:30pm on several occasions.

Wisdom?  
Several things from these first 8 weeks:
*God has a plan, and it’s bigger than yours, so just trust that He knows what He’s doing.
*Fresh air and sunshine can work wonders on your mood.
*When you’re tired, sleep.
*Marrying your best friend is a really good idea.

I’m realizing this advice is not even specific to pregnancy. 
Apparently carrying a baby has made me very wise. 

READ all of my bumpdates by clicking HERE! 



28 comments:

Kelly B. said...

omg is that a custom onesie or what!? Great find, Beeb! that is perfect! and so cute!

P!nky said...

That beeb is pretty awesome, what an adorable set!

SO looking forward to following your journey! I am so excited for you, congrats again!!!!

xoxo

Jessica said...

What a cute outfit! Isn't it amazing seeing that heartbeat? Also, I wouldn't worry about eating deli meat once in a while. I had it (a lot) and Noahs just fine! If you're really concerned, you can heat the deli meat for about 15 seconds in the mic and it will be fine. ;)

Sami said...

Soo sweet! Can't wait until you have a little baby bump. You are going to be such a cute little preggo! :)

Ashley said...

Don't be afraid of lunch meats!! Just heat them before hand. So glad everything is going well!

Kristen @ All In My Twenties said...

OMG CONGRATS!!! Baby on the way!!

Young and Fabulous said...

TEENY TINY BABY!!! :-) :-) I cannot believe a human is inside of you AHH!! i am so so excietd for you guys...SO excited!!!!!!

and soo glad you're doing ok too mama ill be prayin for you guys!!

cant believe he/she is a lil rasberry right now! so flippin cute

omg carolyns bee outfit? COULD SHE BE ANY CUTER!?!?! could that outfit be any cuter!?!?!

i think preggo cravings/weird tastes are so weird/cool. It also freaks me out! How can someone go from LOVING something to hating it! so fascinating!

ahh i am so over the moon excited :-)

xoxox

KAH said...

So exciting! 8 down, 32 to go!

Ruthie Hart said...

I am still just so ECSTATIC for you!!!!! We prayed for you guys last night and a healthy and easy pregnancy for you. God is so great in working wonders! Please update me EVERY step of the way!

Erin said...

AHHHH! I missed the announcement apparently so I had to go back and catch up! SO FREAKING exciting girlfriend! God absolutely has our lives planned out, even if/when it scares us! This will be one loved lil babe! :) Congrats!

Katie said...

I can already tell I'm going to LOVE these weekly updates!!! You are going to be so knowledgeable and I will ask you 50x questions weekly when our time comes! ;) THE BLOB is looking sooooo cute!!! ahhh

Bridget said...

Love this! Can't wait for all updates!!! Congrats again!

Kristin said...

Congratulations!

J and A said...

Onesie is awesome. I love your words of wisdom. :)

Sarah said...

That first ultrasound is amazing! Cute outfit!

Sarah said...

That first ultrasound is amazing! Cute outfit!

Sarah said...

That first ultrasound is amazing! Cute outfit!

Caroline said...

Love this! Isn't seeing the baby the most wonderful thing??

Meghan said...

Found your blog when Ruthie mentioned you, congrats! I'm a Minnesota girl myself :)

Schnelle said...

That outfit is adorable!

Jenna E said...

Love the outfit! Too perfect. Once you hit your second trimester you have all your energy back :)

Tiff For Tat said...

WOW I had no idea! Will read your other posts to catch up!!! Congrats to you two!! You must be over the mooooooon!!!

Gina said...

CONGRATS! Good luck with your pregnancy. It's such an exciting time. I remember the first weeks and being so tired...although having an excuse to take naps was amazing! It gets better. I was lucky enough not to get sick as well - crossing my fingers for you on that.

Angie said...

I can't imagine how excited you must be. I'm pregnant with number 3 and although she was quite a shock, we are so excited! I too have a cyst on my ovary this time. Maybe it's an omen we are meant to be friends LOL!!! That onesie is the cutest ever, love it. Oh and being tired is just part of it. I was exhausted my ENTIRE first trimester. It does get better as time goes on. Great wisdom, definitely rest when you can & sunshine and fresh air really can make a big difference. I'm so excited to follow your journey!!!! Yay, Yay, Yay :)

Maura said...

cutest little onsies ever!!!! i LOVE this update. i am so so so excited for you both!!!!

Kristen said...

so i smiled the entire time i read this post. sometimes i get baby fever, but we aren't ready to start trying yet (we hope this fall) so i'm happy to be living vicariously through you :D

congrats again!!

Café Moka said...

I love this outfit! So cute!

I was wondering, since you have said this was not planned, were you on BC pills at the time of the conception?
Did you have any pregnancy symptoms or you just randomly took a pregnancy test?
(I'm on BC pills and I'm so afraid to become pregnant without knowing it and be one of those girls on the tv show "I didn't know I was pregnant"!)

Stephanie said...

Kristin-I am so so excited for you!!! (And honestly, SO glad to know that you're going through this first so you can pave the way for me! HA!)

I LOVE reading all your baby updated!! Can't wait to see your little belly GROW!!!