Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Greek Turkey Meatloaf

Sometimes I feel like we get in a major dinner rut - eating healthy is great and all but I feel like I have a much harder time coming up with new and fun recipes that don't break the calorie bank. So when I saw this recipe for Greek Turkey Meatloaf, I knew it was one I had to try. I am Greek, so I LOVE Greek food but also had a lot of the ingredients already on hand alng with others to make the recipe my own. Here's what I did....

INGREDIENTS:
 -2 lbs Ground Turkey
-1 cup Reduced Fat Feta Cheese Crumbles
-1 White Onin {chopped}
-2 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
-1 egg {lightly beaten}
-2 cloves of Garlic {minced}
-1/4 cup Coconut Flour
 -1/2 cup Vegetable {or Chicken} Stock
-1 tbsp. Olive Oil
-2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
-1 tsp Salt
-1/2 tsp Pepper
-1 tbsp Oregano
-1 tbsp Lemon Juice


INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 352F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper - saute until the onions are soft. Stir in the fresh spinach and cook until wilted. 

3. In a large bowl, combine onion & spinach mixture, ground turkey, coconut flour, vegetable stock, egg, oregano, lemon juice and worcestershire sauce. Mix until well combined. 

4. Place half of the turkey mixture on baking sheet and shape into a flat rectangle about 1 inch thick. Cover with feta cheese, pressing to adhere to meatloaf. Place remaining turkey mixture on top and shape the whole thing into a rough loaf looking shape. 

5. Bake for 1 hour or until inside is cooked - be mindful not to overcook because it will dry out.

6. Cut into slices and top it off with some Tzatziki Sauce. I like to make my own using this recipe, otherwise Archer Farms has a great Tzatziki Sauce if you prefer to buy it.
via

I served it with a cucumber and kalamata olive salad tossed in olive oil with dill. SO YUMMY and both Jason & Kenley approved!




be sure to visit my friend:

9 comments:

Heather Leigh_A beautiful ministry said...

hmm I may have to try this one. it looks pretty delish :)

~Dawn~ said...

Looks yummy!!

ajs {of MN} said...

my mouth is watering, i HAVE to try this one! but can i ask... do you think that the coconut flour is necessary, like can i use regular flour?

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! I will have to try in my Greek kitchen. xo m

Ruthie Hart said...

Yum!! Can I use regular flour in lieu of coocnut?

Christelle said...

Adding this to my list of new things to try!! Thanks for sharing, sounds really good! :)

Ashley @ Life with Kids said...

Sounds good! This would be perfect to link up to my Monday Meals Mashup linky!!

atparsons.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Okay, probably because it's still pretty early in the morning for me, but when I saw your title I thought it read "Green Turkey Meatloaf" and I was confused. :P It actually sounds pretty tasty! I just started using grown turkey in cooking and I do like the taste!

Kayla MKOY said...

OH YUM! I'll have to try this!!Thanks for the recipe, it seems like I'm wanting to cook like crazy lately (which is crazy for me!)!