Friday, April 11, 2014

Customizable Chicken Tortilla Soup

A while back, I attempted Chicken Tortilla Soup for the first time. I started out with this recipe for a Paleo version and quickly found that I wanted to make it my own. 

The base of this recipe is really simple and really delicious and could easily be customized to fit your likes or dietary restrictions. Paleo, Yeast Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Low Fat, Vegetarian, or None of the Above are all option as you will see below. 

No matter how you plan to customize this recipe, here is what you will need:
Obviously, if you're a vegetarian omit the chicken. If you are yeast free or paleo you're ready to rock. If you want to mix it up a little, do as I did and add 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt and reduced fat shredded cheese to your grocery list. I also added sliced tortilla to Jason's because he needs the extra calories to fill him up. 

Here's what you do:
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Lightly coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil and add your onion and garlic to let simmer. Once the onions are soft and lightly browned add the vegetable stock and vegetables and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, slice your chicken into 1/2 inch strips. Add the chicken, seasoning and tomato paste. Cook on low for 2 hours or until the veggies are soft. 

Once the chicken is cooked, it should shred pretty easily. I removed all the chicken slices, threw them on a plate and shredded with two forks then returned the chicken to the soup. At this point taste test the soup and add salt and pepper to your liking. 

If you so choose, stir in the Greek yogurt right before serving, adding a somewhat creamy texture to your soup. 

Finally, garnish as you wish, some ideas would be....
-Flour or Corn Tortilla
-Avocado
-Shredded Cheese
-Sour Cream
-Doritos
-Lime

I simply used half an avocado, a tbsp of shredded cheese and a little extra cilantro.

Yum! Yum! Yum!


7 comments:

~Dawn~ said...

Looks great!! Yum!

Carolyn said...

Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! Will you make it for me?? xo m

Hope @ Hope in a Blog said...

This looks delish! Thanks for sharing :)! Xx.

Colleen Sullivan said...

I love this! Especially having the visual. It really helps when you're trying to get everything out to make dinner. I've never added jalapeno to ours--- I'll have to try that next time!

Ashley said...

Ohhhh yumm! I'm printing this off for my recipe binder :)

Courtney B said...

Yum!! I never thought about adding carrots to my chicken tortilla soup! Definitely trying that next time! You should try throwing in a little green and red bell pepper and see if you like it!