Friday, June 6, 2014

buzzkill.

You guys, I am SO annoyed and frustrated. 

So remember how one of my "4 weeks fit" goals was to use the C25K app to train for and actually run an entire 5k on June 1st? And remember how I worked my butt off the entire month of May to make sure I met that goal? And remember how I ate a delicious 500 calorie pasta dinner to carb load in preparation for the race the night before?{you probably didn't know that one but now you do}

Well thanks to a 4am Flash Flood Warning the race was CANCELLED. I was so devastated. I know it's just a 5k but it was kind of this grand finale end goal and I was so excited to push myself and achieve a goal I never thought I'd be able to reach {I hate running - or hated, jury is still out on that one}.

Could I have gone to the gym and done a treadmill 5k? Sure. Could I have faceD the rain and mapped out a neighborhood 5k? Yes, I could have. But there's something about the crowd, the giant red clock and a mini fan club waiting at the finish line that pushes me.

So I was super mopey for about two days. Mopey and super irritated that the pasta dinner went straight to my gut. And then this happened:
i need a pedicure! bad!
Good news is I don't think it's broken because it's less and less swollen and less and less bruised each day. But it hurts like a mother. Definitely hurts too bad to run, or go to kickboxing, or even walk around the block.

So for the past week I have done pretty much ZERO physical activity and have been extremely lackluster about what I am eating. I NEED to find that fire again. That kick in the butt and motivation.

I feel dumb even asking "how do you come back from an injury?" since I just have a bruised frickin toe {and no I won't tell you how it happened because it's just too stupid} but seriously...how do you get back in the groove after you've been out of the game for a few days...or a week?

HELP ME! 





12 comments:

Jess Beer said...

I was wondering what was going on! I don't have any advice...but I hope you feel better and get back in the swing of things soon!!!

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

OUCH, that looks painful! I can't tell you the # of times I've banged up my toe in a really stupid way (usually somehow slamming my toes in the corner where a wall juts out, or dragging a door across a bare foot, I'm real graceful like that...)

Just do your best and take it one day at a time!

hello erin said...

you know what always gets me motivated after a "slump" (or a giant bruised toe). NEW WORKOUT CLOTHES. no lie. they work wonders.

P!nky said...

UGH! that's so annoying, about the weather. But, I 100% agree with you, there is something about the crowd and vibe of a race that you can't recreate on your won. Such a bummer.

Injuries suck, but you just have to listen to your body. use this time to do extra stretching and work on your flexibility. Or try some yoga videos online too. Or work those abs and arms, to feel the sweaty fire.

Erin LFF said...

Poor little nubby toe!!! Once it starts feeling better I know you'll jump right back into the swing of things like you never stopped. That does suck SO bad about the 5k though =\ I vote for Carolyn's ideas, lol!!

Kayla MKOY said...

I also like Carolyn's idea!! That is so so crummy your 5k got canceled. Dumb weather!! I totally understand, running with a big crowd is way more awesome than whipping out 3.1 miles on a boring treadmill. Hoping your poor little toe gets better soon!

Ashley said...

This past week I've been super slack about eating healthy too..start easing back in with smoothies, simple pinterest workouts and maybe try bike riding! You shouldn't feel too much pressure on your toes.

Dixie Bell Designs said...

Booo! Don't worry you'll get your motivation back! I hurt two of my toes exactly like that (except I think they were broken) by tripping over a rock on the beach in Costa Rica! So dumb! haha

Amanda K. said...

i've been a runner for maybe 15 years, and have run hundreds of races. i'm telling you, you now know the angst of runners. every runner has a story of a missed race due to injury or foiled plans. the good news is that injuries (usually!) heal and there's ALWAYS another race (especially 5ks).
don't get foiled, get determined!

you're not alone. i'm currently dealing with a post-partum hip injury: http://www.thekriegers.org/2014/03/running-my-aching-creaking-hips/

and have had a hamstring injury for years: http://www.thekriegers.org/2012/07/running-that-old-familiar-pain/

Sarah said...

Oh, dear God, I know that pain. I stubbed my toe on one of the legs of the baby bouncer chair. You know the one that has no real purpose except to hold the baby while you pee and get in the damn way all the time. Yeah, smashed my toe into it and my whole foot was purple/green. Same toe. I feel awful for you. It's miserable.

Ashleigh said...

That looks a tad bit bad! I am sure it hurts something awful.. I do not have any advice but I do hope it gets better soon!

ajs {of MN} said...

i hope your toe is better! i have no info on what to do, b/c once i break a good streak i am the WORST at getting back at it!