Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday

It's Thursday again, and you know what that means....


Head on over to my BB's blog: Life, Love & Puppy Prints to play along

*I have been having a really rough time this week. I've just been dealing with a lot of stuff and haven't really felt like myself, but thanks to the son of one of our regular Coffee Buzz customers I was completely cheered up! Thanks for this awesome drawing Patrick!

I love the bee!


*Speaking of bees...I just finished reading the book "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave. PLEASE, go out and get this book right now! It is the best book I've read in a really long time! It was incredible!

The book actually doesn't give a summary, it has a note saying, "We don't want to tell what happens in this book. It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds." If that doesn't make you want to read it, I don't know what will. But, here is the ONLY summary I could find for the book:

"From the author of the international bestseller "Incendiary" comes a haunting novel about the tenuous friendship that blooms between two disparate strangers--one an illegal Nigerian refugee, the other a recent widow from suburban London."

So, I'm not going to tell you what happens but I will say, IT'S SOOOO GOOD! READ IT!!!
Have any of you read this book? I would LOVE to chat about it!


*Hosting a party is a really weird thing, you work your butt off for two days before the party getting everything clean and organized, buying all the supplies and cooking all the food. Then, for a few hours you have a really good time with your best friends and then you spend two more days working your butt off getting everything cleaned up. We hosted our party in our community party room but all of the mess came home with us. Here's what our kitchen (embarrassingly) looked like for two days after our party and thankfully what it looks like now after a day off from work:




*Last week one of my favorite bloggers, Ali from Golightly. posted a recipe for an avocado pasta. Being that I am a complete and total avocado spaz I knew I had to try it and it was DELICIOUS!!!!

Here's the recipe (I served it with garlic herb chicken breasts):

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
  • 2 garlic cloves, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • ~1/4 cup Fresh Basil, (probably optional)
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until Al Dente, about 8-10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. Please serve immediately.

(from Oh She Glows)

Alright, that's all the thoughts I have this Thursday! I hope you all have a fabulous day!

7 comments:

steph c said...

That avocado pasta sounds seriously delish! Must add it to my recipe binder!

Sara said...

a yummy recipe and a great read! can't wait to try them both :-)

Carolyn said...

Thanks for playing BB! I want to read that book!!!!!!!

Miss K said...

I just bought that book bc of the "summary" i can't wait to read it next now!

that pasta looks delicious, I love avocados and could eat them with everything

Jessica said...

Ooh, avocado pasta?! Sounds yummy!

Bre said...

That sounds amazing and we are hug avocado fans too! I might have to try this one :)

Saying I do said...

wow i'm so def. trying that avocado pasta!! and that book is def. intriguing, i'm gonna go try and track it down at the library.