Friday, April 26, 2013

My Sorta Second Job

Happy Frickin' Friday everyone!!! 

I apologize for my extreme absence lately! But I have been crazy busy. Not sure if I've explained this before or not, but I mention it every now and then...so I might as well try and explain why I am so darn busy this time of year. 
My dad runs an elite AAU basketball program called D1 Minnesota (formerly Minnesota Pump N Run). Pretty much my dad recruits high school basketball players to play for his program during their off season. He has three teams (17, 16 and 15 year old boys) comprised of some of the best basketball players in the state of Minnesota. His teams travels around the country playing in highly competitive tournaments, allowing the boys to play other elite players from all around the country and also to get recruited by college coaches. There's a ton more that goes in to it, but I won't bore you with all the crazy AAU details. 

In addition to D1 Minnesota, my dad also runs three NCAA Certified tournaments a year, two in Minneapolis and one in Denver. 
These tournaments aren't affiliated with D1 Minnesota but obviously his teams play in them. Basically, my dad invites other competitive AAU programs from around the country to come and play in his tournaments. Along with the teams, my dad invites college coaches to the tournament so that they can watch and recruit players. It's definitely the coolest part about helping run the tournaments. I've had the opportunity to meet Bill Self (from Kansas), Josh Pastner (from Memphis), Bo Ryan (from Wisconsin), John Calipari (from Kentucky) and many others! 

My big job for the tournaments is to put together books for the college coaches. These books have a roster for every team playing in the tournament with information on each player....height, graduating year, address, phone number, high school, etc. Basically all the information a coach would need to recruit a player. It's definitely a HUGE undertaking since each tournament has over 100 teams playing in it. Then once the tournaments start I do everything from checking in the AAU teams, helping the college coaches, selling admission, updating brackets, you name it. 

It's a TON of work but it's so much fun. My family is definitely the definition of a basketball family and if these tournaments aren't proof, I don't know what is. All of us kids (and Jason) help and have even recruited the Beeb and her hubby Jake to help out each year too. 

So anyways, tournament season is in full swing which is why I have been too busy to find the time to blog! We have a little break until the next tournament now, so hopefully I'll be back to blogging on a regular basis! 

Have a great weekend my friends! 

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Fun time of year for you! :D

Christelle said...

Wow!! That's sounds like a super fun gig/second job...I love watching kids play sports before they turn greedy/big headed in the pros, just pure love for the game!

Happy Friday, enjoy the break!

Meghan said...

That sounds so fun!

ajs {of MN} said...

talk about having a "fun job" !

love said...

zzzzz2018.7.24
pandora
nike outlet store
adidas superstar
salomon
kate spade outlet
nike air jordan
ralph lauren uk
jordan shoes
coach outlet online
canada goose jackets