Friday, January 25, 2013

My New Favorite Toy

Good Morning peeps! And HAPPY FRICKIN-FRIDAY! 
As Bailey always says, "It's the weekend baby!"
{yes, my dog talks}

Anyways, I'm super obsessed with my Starbucks app and today I'm here to tell you why. 
I know....get excited. 

I realize I may be super late to the party on this one, but I just got it a couple of months ago and it's for sure my favorite app {well, besides Instagram and Twitter of course}. 

I love Starbucks, which I know seems sac-religious since I owned a coffee shop and the major chains are one of the reasons we are no longer in business. BUT, owning Coffee Buzz made me love and appreciate the whole coffee shop experience so much more than I ever did before. So, if I have to go to Starbucks to get it, then so be it. And let's be honest...me boycotting Sbux isn't going to make a heck of a difference, there's one on every corner and it's going to be that way for a while. 
Soy Chai Tea Latte is my poison...hot or cold!

One of my goals for 2013 was to tighten up our finances and one way we are actively doing that is by creating a budget and sticking to it. We looked back and our super handy dandy budget spreadsheet that I had made for 2012 and saw where we could make improvements and one of those categories was COFFEE. If I was made of money, I would go to Starbucks every.single.morning. But lez-be-real, at almost $5 a pop + tip

*SIDE NOTE* ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS tip your Barista! They work just as hard as a bartender and you would never stiff a bartender would you?! It's the same concept and how people think that someone who wakes up at 4am to make coffee for other people doesn't deserve a tip is beyond me! RANT OVER. 

So, at $5 a pop + tip we're looking at an average of $180 on coffee a month. I love my coffee but I'd rather have gas in my car thank-you-very-much. OK, I'm totally rambling....moral of the story is that I put myself on a strict $20/month Starbucks budget AND I'm using the super awesome Starbucks app to help me do it. 

At the beginning of every month I'm going to load my app with $20 and use only the app to buy my drinks....when the money's gone---no more yum yums for Kristin. 
How great is that?

AND, now it's even more fun and exciting to get my coffee because I get points for going! And the more points I get, the more fun rewards (hello, free drinks!) 

Yes, I just wrote an entire blog post about a coffee app. And no, unfortunately, Starbucks is not paying me to say this...I'm just that excited about the app. 

Now go on and have a good weekend! 

20 comments:

Steph @ Water, Extra Ice said...

That is so cool! What a great way to help stick to a budget.

Schnelle said...

That's a great idea to help budget money. I need an app for more than coffee that does that for me!

Jessica said...

Whatttt?? There's an app!!!???

M. at Making Sense of Cents said...

I need this!

Leah said...

This is going to make me go to Sbux vs. 'bou, now. Also, I put myself on a budget. UGH! Why can't money grow on trees?!

Becky Borgman said...

I LOOOOOVE this tip! I also could go to Sbux everyday and have actually come close a few times before my husband reminded me of the frequency of it on my credit card bill. We are are expecting a baby girl in March and so comes more budgeting which I am working on. This is a perfect tip from one new coffee obsessed momma to another!

Caroline said...

I love using my Sbux app! I can't tell you how many free drinks I've had this year. It's sickening!

WhisperingWriter said...

Nice. I should get that app. Though I don't like coffee. But I do like the frappuccinos at Starbucks.

ajs {of MN} said...

thats AWESOME! and oh my gosh, i feel HORRIBLE... each thursday night before my shift at the bar (where is get TONS of tips) i am making it my new ritual and weekly treat to myself to stop for an iced mocha- i will NOW from NOW ON tip, oh my gosh, i seriously never ever thought it that way DOY!!!! i feel embarrassed being that I am a server myself.

but anyway, that is a pretty cool app and a great way to keep track and on top of this fun but SERIOUSLY necessary spending.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog kid. I learn a lot,get a kick out of your humor and even tear up from time to time. I always knew you were a talented writer. xo m

Pete said...

I'm secure down here NO Sbucks within range, as a result I make my own coffee. 8 O'Clock, Kona, Pete's, Baby's, and so many other delicious concoctions.
My daily expenditures are Cigars ($$$) and a daily newspaper @ .50 and 1.25 Sundays! Add that all up and I could take a trip to Texas!

Katie Marie said...

I love the app! I've been using it for a while now and just hit gold status. I'm bad about leaving my wallet at home and now all I have to do is pull out my phone and pay for my coffee!

Down By the Bays said...

I work for Starbucks so thanks for the rant! Definitely has made me more aware that I need to tip generously wherever I go!

Taylor said...

I LOVE my Starbucks app and it's the only way I'll pay for my coffee, so I earn rewards! And I do the same thing...$20 a month and that's it!

Kristin said...

thats a good idea on how to budget your month! too bad i go there way too much. but thankfully the tea is cheaper

Nicole said...

I just downloaded this app myself on Saturday!! I was meeting a friend at a Starbucks and decided to check out the app. So I just loaded $10 on the card because I wanted to try the mobile pay thing. I don't go to Starbucks that much, but now that I have the app I guess I need to start going a little more so I can earn the reward, lol.

Susannah said...

Wow, that's a great way to budget your coffee! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

I'm not gonna lie- I have NEVER thought to tip at a coffee place. Don't yell at me! I don't go that often, so maybe it's just that I'm clueless?! I hit Starbucks MAYBE 1 once a month... and that's a big maybe, but I promise I will tip from now on!

Andddd I need that app bc it looks fun! :)

Lindsey said...

Haha! You crack me up already! I wish I got that excited coffee. but after reading about how much you spent on coffee a month...I am glad that I am not friends with coffee...AT ALL. :)

Kara Frank said...

Great idea!