Friday, August 9, 2013

Tin & Ten

When I was 4 years old my parents moved from Colorado to Minnesota. We moved in to a great house in a great neighborhood with a ton of kids. Because I was painfully shy, my mom brought me down the street to one of the neighbors house to meet their daughter, Kristen, who was my age. I remember Kristen was just as shy and was actually hiding in the garage when our mom's made us meet.

We've been friends ever since.

Because we have the same first name AND same middle name (not to mention our dad's are both named Tom) Kristen's dad nicknamed us Tin & Ten {KrisTIN and KrisTEN for those of you who aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer} so we'd know which one of us was being talked to. 
Every childhood memory that I have involves Kristen...whether it was playing Oregon Trail or Lemmings on her dad's computer, playing with our American Girl or Babysitter's Club dolls, making up dance routines to Janet Jackson in my backyard, playing pranks on her little sister Jill, sleepovers or night games with the neighborhood boys, we were ALWAYS together. I remember when we'd call each other's houses we would say "Hi Kristen, it's Kristin...can you play?". The same, every time.

The summer before 7th grade we moved to a new city. Ten and I were only about 15-20 minutes apart and still saw each other but obviously not every day. It's been 10 years since we've lived in the same STATE but even through different high schools, different colleges (me U of Minnesota and her U of Wisconsin) and now different states (me MN and her in Chicago, IL) we have still managed to stay in touch and see each other.

middle school

high school


college

Fun Fact: Kris caught the bouquet at my wedding and got engaged just months later! 

my baby shower

When we do have the opportunity to see each other it's like no time has gone by. In fact, I got to see her for lunch this past weekend while my mom and I were in Chicago. 

That fateful day that we met in Ten's garage was over 24 years ago now and this weekend Jason and I will be in Chicago for her wedding! 

I am so excited for my dear friend and CANNOT wait to watch her walk down the aisle towards the love of her life! It's going to be a very special weekend, that's for sure! 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 



13 comments:

KAH said...

I've been best friends with the grooms older sister for the past 20 years! Small world! Enjoy the wedding!

Kelly B. said...

this made me tear up. I'm not exactly sure of the circumstances of our meeting, but my best friend came from my neighborhood, too. I think I met her when she was born and we've been friends ever since. Despite the fact that we haven't really lived in the same city since I was 18 (minus a few blips when she moved home for a short time), I've visited her in NYC, Virginia, and hopefully Louisiana soon, and she's my maid of honor in 2 months.

neighborhood friends are the best, I'm so glad you guys stayed in touch and are still good friends!

KatiePerk said...

Just beautiful!! Enjoy yourselves!!

Erin @ Keep Calm and Sparkle said...

What an amazing friendship!! Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Omg this made me tear up! So excited to celebrate with you guys! Xoxoxo! Love, TEN

P!nky said...

Awww what a beautiful story, y'all are so sweet!

And gosh, if she doesn't favor kate middleton...lucky girl ;)

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Erin LFF said...

Such an amazing friendship! Those are rare these days!!!

Carolyn said...

YAY! :) Have the most fun weekend ever!!

Kassi Mortensen said...

So lucky to have such a lasting friendship! Hope you have a fun weekend celebrating her nuptials!!!

Anonymous said...

Looking back and remebering brings tears. I love that you are still in each others lives. Two beautiful ladies. xo m

ajs {of MN} said...

that is the cutest BFF story ever! and i am sorry, you don't look like a shy child at all!! too cute!

raybanoutlet001 said...

zzzzz2018.5.3
coach outlet online
coach outlet online
snapbacks wholesale
ralph lauren outlet
new nike shoes
ugg boots
miami heat jersey
kate spade outlet online
true religion jeans
chrome hearts

love said...

zzzzz2018.7.24
bottega veneta
michael kors outlet online
nike air max 90
moncler outlet
supreme clothing
nike air max 95 ultra
canada goose jackets
yeezy boost 350
tn pas cher
canada goose outlet