Friday, February 21, 2014

The Great Pudding Explosion of 2014

Yesterday, Kenley woke up at 5am. Something she hasn't done.....ever. Our whole morning turned in to a cluster as a result, which really has nothing to do with this post other than the fact that I forgot to pull the chicken breasts from the freezer to thaw for dinner. Because I had no dinner prepared, Jason and I each ate some random stuff, and Kenley had a Kid Cuisine {of which I usually have one or two on hand for situations just like this}. The thing about Kid Cuisine is they come with a dessert - Kenley has definitely had her fair share of sweets but dessert is not an every night occurrence {if only her mom could follow that same rule}. So I put the pudding in a bowl, with a spoon and let Kenley go to town. 
 
 
I had been meaning to clean her chair for quite some time and this was kind of the last straw - after the great pudding explosion of 2014, something needed to be done. 

We have a feeding chair that hooks on to one of the chairs at our kitchen table. We absolutely love it and love that Kenley can sit at the table with us. I imagine no matter what kind of chair you have {high or otherwise} you could follow these same disinfecting steps. 

1. Dis-assemble the chair. 
Easy enough, I just removed the cover, the straps and took apart the pieces. 


2. Soak the straps in bleach. 
The straps definitely take the brunt of the damage, so I started by throwing them in the washing machine with 3/4 cup of bleach and running it on the soak cycle. 


3. Wipe down the chair
As the straps were soaking I whipped out my Lysol wipes and scrubbed the $h*t out of the various chair pieces. 
So shiny! 


4. Wash everything. 
Once the straps' cycle was done, I threw in the cover and washed everything with regular detergent on a gentle cycle. Gentle because I didn't want the straps to get stuck and ruin the washer - which happened about 5 years ago when I tried to wash Bailey's collar. Yeah. It happened. Then once they were done I threw them in the dryer!

5. Reassemble your sparkly, brand-new-looking high chair. 


And then text your friends so they know how cool you are. 


Happy Weekend Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 comments:

Jess Beer said...

I think your conversation with Carolyn is my favorite part of this whole post. :)

hello erin said...

I love that pudding face!!!!! I mean really- it doesn't get any cuter!! And her high chair totes looks like new!!

Ashley said...

Nice to see Jason making a goofy appearance ;) I think we all missed that, after the end of bumpdates! haha.

Kari said...

She is so cute! And I'm secretly so glad you did this post- we have the same chair and even though Colin hasn't made a mess of it yet, I'm sure the day will come! And then once again I can refer to this post and know how to clean and take care of the chair!

Jill @ Bluegrass Belle said...

Hahah I love that you added the "sparkles" to the clean chair photo! Reminds me of an Orbitz commercial...'DING!'

ajs {of MN} said...

haha the convo of the screen shot at the end TOPS the cake on this post!! i also love the "sparkling" clean highchair pic, too! we use a chair at the table too and clean it from time to time, but a deep clean like this (now that i have the step by step) is a MUST!! :) #gottalovebeingamom

Erin LFF said...

LOL! Yesss that last screenshot of your text- hilarious :) Kenley is so freakin' cute, even with pudding all over her!!

Sarah said...

If you think that is fun, how about cleaning barf out of the Britax convertable car seat... UGH. That was a complete nightmare. At least pudding smells good, right?

Carolyn said...

Is it weird that I want pudding now?...

Emily said...

Hahaha that text made me laugh! I have a similar chair but for some reason I can NOT get the straps all the way out to put them in the wash. You wouldn't believe how much time I have spent trying to get them clean. Maybe I should look for the manual...

Jessica said...

The chair looks amazing! Well worth a blog post, lol:)

Becky Borgman said...

We have that same chair and although I am so bad at deep cleaning it. Especially all the crud that gets underneath the seat cover. I am feeling motivated to get the bleach out now!