Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Weighing In, part 2

Losing baby weight is weird. In fact, gaining baby weight is weird. It's so crazy to me how different the pregnancy experience is for everyone...I have a friend who gained 10 pounds during her pregnancy and I have a friend who gained 90 pounds (no joke). Some people lose all the baby weight in just weeks and others never really lose it. And despite what you think, gaining less weight during pregnancy doesn't necessarily make it easier to lose. 

There's just too many damn factors! 

I am finding that I fall smack dab in the middle. I gained 34 pounds while growing my KennyCakes which is between the recommended amount (women who are considered "regular" in terms of BMI are recommended to gain between 25-35 pounds), I lost 10 of that within the first week of giving birth...the rest is coming off slowly but somehow surely. 
Word on the street is that if you chose to breastfeed, you will lose the baby weight faster. I don't think I believe this rumor. There's no doubt that breastfeeding burns calories...and a lot of them...but breastfeeding also requires you to eat more calories to keep your milk supply up and make sure your baby is getting the proper nutrition, not to mention you need that energy to function. While breastfeeding, your body will also hold on to some extra fat as a back up, ya know the whole "Starvation Mode" theory, so if that's true, you can't really lose ALL the weight until you're done breastfeeding. Again, I'm sure this is different for everyone. 

Basically, what I'm taking the long way to say is that losing baby weight is hard. There comes a point where you really need to stop stressing about it, except it and realize that your body looks like this because of your baby and for your baby. And unless you hate your baby (and who hates their baby?), you're probably OK with that. 
Sure celebrities are somehow able to look smokin' hot two months after giving birth, but they get paid for it. I guarantee you that if someone offered me half a million dollars, I had a chef, a cleaning lady, a nanny, a personal trainer and all day to do nothing but eat healthy and work out...sure, I could have been down to my pre-baby weight real quick. But it's not realistic and frankly, I don't think it's healthy. 

That's not to say that I'm going to just sit back and let my body be. No, No, No...that sounds like a fast track to mom jeans and moo-moos. I've had to find a way to lose weight that works for me (and my baby). I've also had to accept that unless I want to give up all the foods I really love to eat and workout all the dang time, this is going to take a while. You know what they say, "9 months up and 9 months down."

I don't like to work out. Well, actually I love to work out -- after it's over. It's been over 4 months and I still haven't found a way to incorporate gym time in to my weekly routine. I know I could find the time if I really wanted to...but right now, what I really want is to spend time with my little family and I'm not going to feel bad about that. Plus, once it's nice out, I will be pushing that stroller and be swimming in that pool all-the-time. So, what I'm working hard on now, is my diet. 

I thought about Yeast Free because I've seen it do amazing things for Steph & Kristen, but I know that it wouldn't work for me. YF isn't just a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change and a serious one at that. I know myself and know that I wouldn't and couldn't give up all yeast yielding foods. What I have done, however, is become more aware of foods with yeast and gluten and sugar and I've significantly reduced the amount that I eat. I used to live on carbs and cheese, now I live on protein, fruits and veggies with small amounts of dairy & carbs mixed in. I also gave up sweets for lent, which has been probably the hardest thing I've ever given up but it's really helping to reduce that sweet tooth! More on my healthified diet later! 

After 18 weeks, here's where I stand: 

Total weight gained: 34 pounds
Weight loss goal: 42 pounds
Total weight loss: 25.4 pounds
Pounds to go: 16.6 pounds

Getting there!

See my first Weigh In post HERE.


13 comments:

Katie said...

I love your attitude about this, I think it's so healthy. Also, I am in full support of you deciding that yeast-free isn't for you. I don't personally believe in diets that eliminate entire food groups, unless it's for a 3 day cleanse or something. Even that I'm torn on!

Nikki said...

Love your outlook on this subject!

Carolyn said...

You can do it Beeb!!! :)

Ruthie Hart said...

I think you look great lady! And seriously at 40 weeks you looked really good... most women look sooo bloated at 40 weeks. I think your body will naturally help you lose the weight when you're ready...there is NO way yu can get back to pre baby body within weeks like those dang celebs!

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've come to the realization that my body won't be the same after Elliott is here. My mom had really good luck after she had my brother and I and likes to remind me of that, but I have a feeling it won't be that easy because I love to eat way too many things that are bad. Ha and I hate working out lol.

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

I think as a reward for pushing a child out of our hoohaa our bodies should magically be even better than before we got pregnant. Don't you think?

J and A said...

You can do it and look awesome already!! And look you get to enjoy a sweet little girl while doing it! :)

Katie said...

agree with Ruthie! you're doing great and I love your approach to do it for you and the baby :) a great way to look at it!! ps you look amazing as it is!

ajs {of MN} said...

you are so right in it being different for everyone. i feel that the hardest part for ME is that my BODY not my weight my body... is SO different and different it will forever be! my mom put my mind at ease when she said this to me "your body has changed, and your body will change again fro the next baby".

i was up 35lbs on the day i gave birth and didn't find it hard (for me) to lose it but again, STILL trying to find that body i used to have ;)

YAH MOMMYHOOD!:D

Unknown said...

What a great outlook to have! Eating healthy is definitely the key. My fiance and I cut out sugar, processed foods, and bread back in July right after we got engaged and I lost 20lbs. You can do it! :)

P!nky said...

YOU GOT THIS GIRLIE!!!!!

Smart food choices make weight control easier. And I totally agree, once it's nice out you'll be walking and burning more calories!

GO GO GO GUUUUUUUUUUUURL!

Anonymous said...

I've lost all but 3 lbs of my baby weight at almost 4 months by doing nothing but breastfeeding. I got lucky. BUTTTT...my pants don't fit. Not even close. My hips are nearly 2 sizes larger than they were before and I'm definitely carrying the extra poundage all in my hips. It's super frustrating, because even if I do lose 5-7 lbs, I still don't think they will fit. My body is VERY different now, and I feel like I'm still learning to dress it.

Good luck!!

Ashley said...

Our numbers are almost exactly the same - except I packed on a few more pounds than you, miss tiny thang! Losing this weight would be easier if we lived in the south and could walk year round. I don't know about you, but in winter I feel LAZY. This snow better melt ASAP so we can both get our walk on...with our little ones!