Tuesday, January 25, 2011

And the nominees are......



I am like a little kid on Christmas morning! The 83rd Academy Award nominees were announced this morning and I was sure to set my alarm and watch to see who would receive this year's highest honor!

As I've mentioned before, I try every year to see as many of the nominated movies as I possibly can. I typically see the ones nominated for the "big" awards first and then go to the ones that are nominated for the most awards. Here's how this year's films broke down:

The nominees for the "big" awards are:

Best Motion Picture:
  • “Black Swan”
  • “The Fighter”
  • “Inception”
  • “The Kids Are All Right”
  • “The King's Speech”
  • “127 Hours”
  • “The Social Network”
  • “Toy Story 3”
  • “True Grit”
  • “Winter's Bone"

Best Actress:
  • Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
  • Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
  • Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
  • Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Best Actor:
  • Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
  • Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
  • Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
  • Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”
  • James Franco in “127 Hours”

Best Supporting Actress:
  • Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
  • Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”
  • Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
  • Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
  • Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

Best Supporting Actor:
  • Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
  • John Hawkes in “Winter's Bone”
  • Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
  • Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Geoffrey Rush in “The King's Speech”

Best Director:
  • “Black Swan” Darren Aronofsky
  • “The Fighter” David O. Russell
  • “The King's Speech” Tom Hooper
  • “The Social Network” David Fincher
  • “True Grit” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Best Adapted Screenplay:
  • “127 Hours”
  • “The Social Network”
  • “Toy Story 3”
  • “True Grit”
  • “Winter's Bone”

Best Original Screenplay:
  • “Another Year”
  • “The Fighter”
  • “Inception”
  • “The Kids Are All Right”
  • “The King's Speech”
Best Animated Film:
  • “How to Train Your Dragon”
  • “The Illusionist”
  • “Toy Story 3”
Here's the breakdown based on the number of nominations:

The King's Speech--12 nominations
True Grit--10 nominations
The Social Network--8 nominations
Inception (my favorite movie of the year)--8 nominations
The Fighter--7 nominations
127 Hours--6 nominations
Black Swan--5 nominations
Toy Story 3--5 nominations
Winter's Bone--4 nominations
The Kids Are Alright--4 nominations
Alice in Wonderland--3 nominations
Biutiful--2 nominations
Harry Potter--2 nominations
How to Train Your Dragon--2 nominations

And then there's a million with 1 nomination:
The Town
Rabbit Hole
Blue Valentine
Animal Kingdom
I Am Love
Tempest
Dogtooth (what up Greece!!!)
In a Better World
Incendies
Outside the Law
Barney's Version
Another Year
Hereafter
Iron Man 2
The Way Back
The Wolfman
The Illisionist
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Gasland
Inside Job
Restrepo
Waste Land
Country Strong
Tangled
Tron: Legacy
Salt
Unstoppable

***I did not include nominees for any of the Short films (Documentary, Animated or Live Action) because if you live in Minnesota it is nearly impossible to ever see these films. So if you're the creator of one of these and you're reading this blog...I'm sorry. :)

Well, I have 33 days to see all of these movies! Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted!!!!

And, I have just one quick rant....I HATE THAT THERE ARE 10 BEST FILM NOMINATIONS! I hate it I hate it I hate it! I hated it last year, I hate it even more this year! I think it takes away from the prestige of being nominated and even winning. SO DUMB!

What are your favorite movies of the year? Who do you think deserves the best actor and best actress awards?! IS ANYONE ELSE OBSESSED LIKE ME AND BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS WITH EXCITEMENT?!?!?!?!?

9 comments:

Caroline said...

I have a ton of movies to start watching. :) I love movies, but I am always 6 mo-1 year behind.

Miss K said...

I like to try and see all of the movies for the big noms as well! I agree that 10 is just absurd, it definitely does take away from the prestige of being nominated. if they wanted to increase i would say i could agree with 7, but 10 is just ridiculous.

I LOVED How to Train Your Dragon, and Toy Story 3 is the same story as The Brave Little Toaster so I don't hink it should have been nominated. They totally left out Despicable Me! It was great! (Obviously I watch a lot of children movies, oh well).

I've added some of the movies to my NetFlix Queue and I hope to see them all before the show.

love jenny xoxo said...

I haven't seen as many of the movies up for best picture as I would like. I did really like Inception and Toy Story 3. Which do you like for Best Pic?

XOXO

Katie said...

I've only seen one of the best picture movies. Guess I need to get on it, too! Lots of them didn't even come to my town in NC either, so that makes it a bit difficult.

Desiree said...

Okay, I need your help on this one. I'm so upset and confused and up is down and black is white and I just can't deal with life right now.

On what planet in the universe is The Kids Are All Right up for Best Picture AND Best Actress AND Best Supporting Actor? ESPECIALLY Best Supporting Actor? I seriously don't get it - I rented this a couple of nights ago and I wanted to call AppleTV and get not only my money back but I wanted those two hours of my life back too!

Seriously, help me understand why this was NOT the stupidest movie ever made!!

Up is down, black is white and I'm not Desiree - apparently. :-p

Marian said...

The hubby and I have a little bet on who can get the most right and then you win a little prize of winner's choice (usually dinner at a restaurant...or movie). I'm so excited for this year and am trying to see a lot of them as well. And I'm not a fan of how many nominations are in best film as well!!

Jessica said...

I agree, why 10?! That's a crazy amount. I say five is perfect.

Also, I'm disappointed The Town didn't get more nods. LOVED that movie!

Mimi said...

i am rooting for colin firth for best actor. he totally deserves it, he was brilliant in the king's speech. for best actress, everyone's saying it's probably natalie portman. she was good. for best picture, i think it would be between the king's speech and the social network. and can i just say, i'm happy to see harry potter was nominated for 2 categories. ;)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

OceanDreams said...

first time visitor and i can't wait for the Oscars! i really would love for The Social Network to win and i'm a huge fan of Amy Adams! thanks for the review. :)