Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Recent Reads

I've read a ton of books lately and am FINALLY getting around to sharing with you guys my thoughts. 
To five-year-old-Jack, Room is the world...It's where he was born, it's where he and his Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. 
Room is home to Jack, but to Ma it's the prison where she has been held for seven years. Through her fierce love for her son, she has created a life for him in this eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But with Jack's curiosity building alongside her own desperation, she knows that Room cannot contain either much longer. 
Room is a tale at once shocking, riveting, exhilarating--a story of unconquerable love in harrowing circumstances, and of the diamond-hard bond between a mother and her child. 

I LOVED this book! It was a really quick read and it was an incredible story. It was gut-wrenching and heartbreaking but I really loved it and would definitely recommend it! 

Of course, now that I'm expecting, I wanted to read this book. I thought it was very informative, almost too much so. I skimmed over a lot of it because it goes into great detail on a lot of possible diseases and complications. It's good to at least be aware of them, but I didn't want to dwell on all that could possibly go wrong. 

This book is very similar to What to Expect but not quite as intense. If you're trying to decide between the two I would actually recommend this one. 

This was a great book! Totally hilarious and a book on what pregnancy is REALLY like. Plus hearing it from Jenny McCarthy who is not only famous but GORGEOUS was awesome. It's nice to know the rich and famous go through the same things I'm feeling. 

Four-time delivery room veteran Vicki Iovine, "the Carrie Bradshaw of pregnancy" (Wall Street Journal), talks to you the way only a best friend can -- in the book that will go the whole nine months for every mother-to-be. Now, in this newly revised and updated edition, get the lowdown on all those little things that are too strange or embarrassing to ask, practical tips, and hilarious takes on everything pregnant. 
This was without a doubt my favorite pregnancy book! Girlfriends beware, if and when you all get pregnant I will be buying you this book! As the description said, it's like reading a book written by your friends about what pregnancy is REALLY like. It is HILARIOUS and totally true! I highly, highly, highly recommend it! 
Even if you're not pregnant, READ IT. It will properly prepare you for what pregnancy is like. 

Same as the Pregnancy book, it was A LOT of information, not all of which was pertinent. But, it was really helpful in preparing for baby and I will definitely be using it as a resource once the bambino arrives. 

Again, I read this one in preparation and again, it was hilarious! I definitely recommend this one too. Just like the pregnancy book it tells it as it is and prepares you for what motherhood is REALLY like. 

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana's quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too --but on his own terms. 
Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success --his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family -- Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey's secrets and explores her own dark desires. 
Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever. 
OK, so now to the good stuff. I know A LOT of you have read these books or are at least thinking of reading these books. If you have not read them yet, here's my recommendation: read them! These books are now a part of pop culture and if for nothing else read them so you get all the references and jokes going around. With that being said...here's my review of the books.
I had mentioned before that I had a love/hate relationship with the books and it's totally true. I loved that this was a love story different than all the stereotypical Nicholas Sparks type novels (which, don't get me wrong, I love). The books had a darker story line and everyone knows about the extreme sexual content, which was definitely different than any other book I've ever read. The storyline definitely pulled me in and I was dying to know how it all ended. 
BUT, I absolutely HATED the writing. I think these could quite possibly be the worst written books in the history of the world. 
A direct quote from the book: 
"He smirks and cranks his glorious smile up another notch so it's in full HD IMAX."
I almost threw my Nook out the window when I read that, anyone with an OUNCE of literary talent could have come up with a better way to describe someone's smile. I could go on and on about how terrible the writing is, not just the language but the book is SO repetitive. 
I know people are ga-ga over these books, and I totally get why, I just couldn't get past the writing. 
Those of you who have read them, what are your thoughts?

Now I need something new to read. Any suggestions?


ps.
  HAPPY BIRTHDAY
to my not-so-baby-sister who turns 15 today!

22 comments:

Nikki said...

That book Room looks good! I added it to my to read list! I just finished the 50 shades books and I have to say that I whole heartedly on everything.


Happy Birthday to your sister! You guys are so cute together!

Erin said...

OMG, I read Room a couple months ago and it's up there are one of the most interesting books I've read to-date! Such an instense, unique storyline, incredible!

Do you read anything by Jodi Picoult?! She is my all-time favorite author, and honestly, every single one of her books is just as good as the last!

Lourdes Echagarruga said...

I agree with you on Fifty Shades. The story drew me in but the writing was lacking.

I still loved the book though!

Xo Lourdes

agalandherdog said...

I loved Jenny McCarthy's book too! Very funny!

Kelly said...

Girl you HAVE been reading like crazy!! Nice job!!

I saw a friend of mine describe FSOG as "literary gold" this morning on Facebook. I almost gagged. I'm happy that others like it (and I liked them too) but literary gold? Not so much...

Jamie said...

I am reading Fifty Shades now and I'm only 9 chapters in and already I'm annoyed with the way it is written. E.L. James needed a thesaurus when writing so she could have come up with something better than Ana "murmuring" every other minute. UGH!

Syndal said...

ugh I am still so back and forth over reading 50 Shades..I've been told that I just need to read them but I really don't think I will like it.

Young and Fabulous said...

i wanna read Belly Laughs based on your review...i want to know what pregnancy is really like hahaha ahhh!! and yes jenny is GORGEOUS!!

ok 50 shades...1000000% agere. Writing is terrible but story is fantastic! however, if i see the word MURMER once more in the book, i will scream. I'll throw my kindle and you throw your nook and they can crash into eachother hahah

im almost done with the 2nd book. EEP!!!

xoxoxo

Carolyn said...

I'm really glad you didn't throw the Nook out the window... because it's MINE! BAHAHAHAHA :)

I am just starting to read Room (on your Nook!) and I'm having trouble getting used to the writing. But this review is going to make me plug on. :)

Holy preggo books. I'm glad I don't need to read all those when the time comes. I'll just have you teach me everything.

I think that's a great review of the 50 Shades books. :) Good job Beeb.

Caroline said...

Belly Laughs is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. She's hilarious!

storiesfromatx.com said...

The only "baby" book I've read so far is "Sippy Cups are NOT for Chardonnay" and it was really funny too.

"Belly Laughs" is on my list too, I haven't gotten around to it yet though.

Amanda said...

Haha I LOVED your comment on the 50 shades writing - SO TRUE and it's so funny to me. Still though the books were a great read overall. I love ur choice in books! xo

Stephanie Ann said...

Kristin - Which version of Girlfriend's guide to pregnancy do you have? I want to give it as a gift and want to make sure I'm getting the updated copy!

Thanks!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I've been dying to read Room for awhile now, so I finally got myself a copy. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

The Girlfriend's Guide sounds hilarious. Not pregnant yet, but a few of my friends are pregnant or have kids...hm...would be a great gift.

I haven't read the Fifty Shades trilogy either but my sister in law let my sister and I borrow the first two, so we're gonna check them out. I've heard the writing is terrible though, so we'll see. haha

-Lauren

Breanna said...

Room has been on my reading list for a while. So have the Fifty Shades trilogy. Can't wait to read them all!

Jessica said...

Fifty Shades of Grey? SO OVERLY DESCRIPTIVE! Yes, the writing is awful! Book one was horrible, no storyline at all. (End rant. But I like book 2 so far!)

Kristen said...

i loved room, the boy was so sweet!!

ajs {of MN} said...

on the 50 books: "Sooooo SOOO SO repetitive." you are right!!! i HATE HATE HATE reading "foil packet" 5 billion times!

Becky said...

Thanks for some book suggestions! I've read Belly Laughs and loved it, seriously so funny!

I must add THE GIRLFRIEND'S GUIDE TO PREGNANCY and THE GIRLFRIENDS GUIDE TO SURVIVING THE FIRST YEAR OF MOTHERHOOD to my Kindle!

I'm on the 2nd 50 Shades book and I'm having a hard time finishing it. I think I'm just not in the reading mood right now, but I definitely agree with your review!

Nicole-Lynn said...

Good to know! I'll have to bookmark this post for future reference! ;)

Kelly B. said...

Well it's a good thing you tweet your blog posts because my GFC likes to unfollow you at random times. annoying. I definitely agree with the 50 Shades analysis. I liked the storyline, it was different..but it's one thing to let a title speak for itself, it's another to use the title "My Fifty Shades" 1,000 TIMES in the book. Also, I GET IT, he's "mercurial".. get a new adjective. There were definitely times I rolled my eyes at the descriptions... but when they make out or bang hundreds of times in the books i suppose you need to start getting creative with the descriptions. haha.

Definitely mentally bookmarking this for the pregnancy books in the future too!

Miss.Juddy Hawks said...

Happy picture after expecting a baby or getting pregnant, this is wonderful and happiest moment of every woman life when she expecting a baby. The pregnancy processes is start from when woman have sex wither partner and doing this sex after weak and some days get the woman to the way of pregnancy.

Wisdom on line