Friday, June 15, 2012

We Need What?!

Oh-Em-Gee! Jason and I are registering for baby stuff tonight!
I cannot believe that our little nugget will be debuting in just over 4 months!
I have SO much to do!

We still don't know the gender of the baby, but these next few weekends are so crazy busy, that we decided to take some time and figure out the big ticket items this weekend. All of the stuff we'll have for years to come and will want gender neutral for future babies.

Being the total anal, type-A, spaz that I am I had to get a jump on the registering festivities. So I instantly started searching for the best possible Baby Registry Checklist. 
My favorite is the one found HERE from babycenter.com

HAVE YOU GUYS EVER LOOKED AT A BABY REGISTRY CHECKLIST?!
This little mango-sized nugget needs how much stuff?
You have GOT to be kidding me!

Needless to say I immediately became overwhelmed. 
I now have this fear that Jason and I will register for 687 baby items to ensure we're covering every piece of this checklist and then somehow we'll magically receive all of this stuff and not use any of it.

Thank the Lord I am a blogger and have all you fabulous people to turn to in a time of crisis. 
{Please sense the sarcasm--I realize this hardly classifies as a crisis.}
Although me & Jason at Babies R Us without a clue as to what we're doing could very quickly turn in to a justified crisis.
Why do I have the feeling this will NOT be us?

So what I need from all of you is this...

WHAT THE HELL DO WE REGISTER FOR?

A lot of you have babies and every single one of you knows someone with a baby---so help a sister out!
What are the must-have baby items?!  What are fan favorites?! What can't we live without?

From what I've been seeing, here are some of the items deemed "must have" by the mystical wonder moms of the internet {aka Lucie's List--I'm obsessed}.
1. Bumbo Seat - designed to support babies and allows little ones to sit up independently. Made from a single piece of latex-free, low density, lightweight foam, the Bumbo seat provides a snug and comfortable environment for your baby to sit in during feedings, play time or quality  time with the family. 

2. Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether - full of discoveries and activities to awaken baby's senses. Sight: The dark contrasting spots all over Sophie's body provide visual stimulation and make her easily recognizable to baby. Hearing: her squeaker keeps baby amused and stimulates hearing. Taste: Sophie is very flexible and and has lots of parts for baby to chew. She is perfect for soothing baby's sore gum when teething and is completely safe. Touch: Sophie is perfect for baby's small hands. She is very light and and her long legs and neck are easy for baby to grasp. 

3.  NoseFrida - the doctor-developed and recommended nasal aspirator is the new standard in keeping babies naturally snot free. Ingeniously simple Swedish design features a tube that is placed against the nostril (not inside). Parents use their own suction to draw mucus out of their child's nose. Disposable filters prevent any bacterial transfer.

4. SwaddleMe - Wrap your baby in the comfort of Summer Infant SwaddleMe, the original adjustable infant wrap. Swaddling soothes newborns by recreating the familiar, comforting snugness of the womb and helps baby from startling awake so babies, and parents, sleep more soundly.

5.  OXO Tooli - is a great bedside companion to ward off the darkness. LED lights provide eight hours of soothing light, plenty of time to send restless little ones off to dreamland. Tooli lights up automatically when lifted from the charging base or if there is a power outage. Place Tooli on the patented safe-charge base and it automatically recharges for the next use. The charging base doubles as an optional nightlight that can be left on even when Tooli is charging. 

6. Soothie Pacifier - helps calm and soothe newborns. Designed for babies from birth to three months, the pacifier is made out of hospital-grade, BPA-free and latex free silicone for strength, comfort and durability. It's one-piece construction is specially sized and shaped for a newborn's mouth.

7. Fisher Price Newborn Rock N Play Sleeper - designed with a wide base and sturdy footings, the Rock N Play Sleeper is a convenient bassinet-style seat that can be used for both sleeping at night and nap or playtime during the day. The extra deep seat includes a structured insert that keeps baby feeling snug and secure. Plus, the three-point harness provides safety at all times. 

8. My Brest Friend - (worst product name ever) was designed to properly support mom and baby during breastfeeding. Other nursing pillows and multi-purposed, crescent shaped pillows aren't secure and don't fully wrap around the body. As a result, they can shift, forcing mom to constantly readjust; this can add up to difficulty positioning and latch on.

9. Medela Pump In Style -  A daily use breastpump designed for moms who pump several times a day. All Pump In Style Advanced offer portable convenience for quiet, discreet pumping anywhere.  

Great, now I'm overwhelmed again!
HELP!!!

21 comments:

P!nky said...

I've got nothing to help you with, cause I've never been with child. However, I have heard the Moby or Ergo wraps are bomb.com.

Also, I heard from a friend who recently had a baby that wearing bright colors at the hospital is a good idea. They can only see bright when they are first born [she said] so she and her husband packed bright reds, oranges and green tops for the hospital.

That's all I got. Make sure mama gets a pedicure somewhere in there ;)!

xoxo

Jess Beer said...

Oh, I'm with you - its SO overwhelming. I'm so confused on so many things! We're doing our registries on Amazon and at Target - I've started both but the Amazon one is definitely more full. I've got a lot of the same things you're thinking of on it.

A friend of mine did tell me those SwaddleMe wraps were amazing - she said to swaddle with a regular blanket first, then that, so they don't get as dirty and you don't have to wash as often.

Let me know how you do tonight! Good luck!

Lins @ Country Roots City Living said...

You look like you have a good handle on the needs. I used a bumbo seat with my second son but not my first. I loved it! One thing I used with boys my kids were the playmats. This really helps during tummy time and keeps them entertained. I also used a bouncy seat and a swing with both kids. As far as the swaddling went we swaddled with our first but when we started to swaddle with our second at the hospital they had us leave his arms out so he could move them around and what not. I can't remember the reasoning why but we rolled with it. You will want a bassinet for the baby to be in your room with you for the first few months. As far as the crib we did breathable bumpers for our second child. I liked the breathable better just because my second child is a wild man :) and if he pulled them over him then he would stil be able to breathe. (This never happened I was just thinking of the what if). You can always email me or what not. I've gone through this twice. My husband and I noticed that we got every single thing with our first and didn't use half of it! :)


countryrootscityliving.blogspot.com

Tickled Pink Mandy said...

You are up to a great start!! Registering is hard work!! Make sure and take some breaks tonight!! Good luck!!

Ashley said...

Aden + Anais swaddle blankets - the muslin ones!! Everyone I've talked to said these are the best for swaddling, for them to play with, just everything all around.

The Boppy - If you don't want to go with My Breast Friend. Even if you don't use it for feeding at first, girls say they uh...sit on it...haha. Apparently your lady bits hurt for awhile and this makes it a lot more comfy.

Activity Gym - good for helping their sensory development and with 'tummy time'.

I've read a lot of good things about the Itzbeen Baby Care Timer.

As well as a baby monitor!! My girlfriends all used this one and loved it - Angelcare Baby Movement and Sound Monitor

I'm so glad I've got a bunch of friends who've gone through this before! If you have any questions I can pass them on for you :-)

Ali said...

#7...yes yes yes!! My niece used ONLY this to sleep in for about the first 7 months...she loved it. I also got my cousin one for her baby and they love it. It's basically like a modern day bassinet. It's so easy to transport and put wherever so the baby can nap or just hang out while you do something else! :) I would say it's a really good thing to register for.

Carolyn said...

OK. That booger one freaks me out. Disgusting. HAHA Good luck Beeb!!

agalandherdog said...

It is so overwhelming and doing it in the store makes it even worse (for me anyway). Start online and then go to the store to see and touch things. It will save your sanity, I promise.

You'll also need a car seat (keep in mind that they only use the infant carrier ones for around 6-8 months, no matter the weight limit, so don't pick a super expensive one), stroller, baby monitor (everyone I know recommends the Angelcare movement and sound monitor and that's what I bought) and I've heard nothing but rave reviews of the Aden + Anais muslin swaddle blankets.

Good luck and if you can't get everything scanned in on this trip, don't worry. I went with a strategic list and still gave up after a while and went home to finish online.

Carey said...

Ok ok, I feel like I've seen this list before... OH WAIT! I have! haha :) I did a list shortly after my first was born of absolute must haves.

http://www.growingupgoomba.com/2010/06/baby-needs-please.html

You will also maybe want some Mylicon gas drops and Gripe water for hiccups. And to this day, my two year still sleeps with his glow seahorse. This generations version of the glowworm that we had :)

Good luck and don't get overwhelmed! You will be amazed at how little babies need when they are tiny. :)

Kim said...

My husband and I are expecting our first in about a week (eek!!) and even though we haven't used the baby stuff yet, we have been through the crazy registry process already...
One thing is, I wouldn't register for too many blankets. You will get those on your registry and then some! Okay, a LOT! I guess people feel the need to buy you any and every blanket in the store. I made the mistake of ripping off tags and washing everything before I stopped and realized that maybe I didn't need that many to begin with!
All of my friends loved the Aden + Anais muslin blankets. They said they are great for swaddling and they are adorable... I am actually taking one to the hospital.

Remember, you don't have to scan everything the first trip. On our first trip we registered for stuff we knew we would need like the bathtub, medicines, thermometers, breastpump, etc. then we would go back and add more and more.

Good luck!

Shaina said...

Oh my! I am a 1st time mom with a 5 week old...

I went through the same thing and feel like I searched for days...so far our can't live without items have been...

the rock n play sleeper, his swing, the swaddle me swaddlers, aden and anasis blankets, mam paci's, gas drops, the breast pump you have listed, angel care monitor and a video monitor!

Email me if you have any questions about anything!!!

ajs {of MN} said...

Have fun! Its super overwhelming, I remember I brought my sister along as she had a baby before me. Just keep in mind, that you can register for anything and everything- stick it on there if you think its neat and you might want to use it for baby. From your list of must haves i say YEs FO SHO to #'s 1 {plus the tray}, 2, 4. I wish I would have registered/bought #7 I hear they are AWESOME. will be doing so for baby #2
[when that occurs ;)] i also LOVED having a bottle warmer in case breast feeding is not for your or baby, and a portable noise machine, these are great for baby and easy to take anywhere for better sleep away from home. good luck! can't wait to hear how it goes.

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

So I don't want to make is any more confusing....is that even possible?!? BUT...what one woman LOVES another won't. What one baby thinks is awesome another won't give the time of day? So it's really one big crap shoot of trial and error.

For example, off you're must have list? My child hated swaddling, so number 4 was out. He also cried if I even suggested putting him in the Bumbo, so that wouldn't make my list either. We however loved the moby wrap in those early days, but my friend couldn't stand it. See where I'm going with this??

I wish I could just give you some magical list, but instead I'll suggest keeping reciepts and boxes so you can return if needed. Good luck! It's really not that bad...who doesn't love a little shopping??

Megan said...

I don't have any kids myself, but I have helped raise my two nieces and my sister in law swears by the Bumbo. I would get the tray for it though too. Also, she loves the Soothie pacifiers and the Boppy pillow. And I have heard amazing things about swaddles. I am sure you guys will do great.

Kelly said...

Babies do need a ton of things. I just had my 4th and I am still finding things that I couldn't live without. You learn as you go. I would agree with your little list you have. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Also, I would love to design a baby announcement for you when your nugget gets here (free)

Nicole-Lynn said...

I am not a mommy yet, but I've heard great things about the Ergo carrier, sophie teether, bumbo, my breast friend, renting a breast pump vs buying and getting registering for all the parts you can put on yourself?, Britax strollers, car seat, etc. are great quality/safe, the sleep sheep I hear is good for "white noise" in the crib or on the go, and the aden + anais swaddle blankets are the best (very lightweight). That's what I've heard is good to register for/get from all my mommy friends! Pacifiers, bottles can vary depending on what your baby prefers so I would register for a couple different kinds? Also if you travel or plan to travel with the baby, get an easy to travel/fold playard.

Um, I sound like I'm crazy but I seriously have all preggo/mommy friends! hahah

Nicole-Lynn said...

Oh and I've also heard the nap nanny was necessary as a lot of newborns don't like to sleep flat on their backs they need to be at an incline? And a swing, jumper, play mat.

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

I'm sure all these responses are just stressing you out more. haha. Since every mom and baby are different, it's so hard to know what will work for you until baby gets here. So, I'll just try to give you some general advice rather than a list of cool products. You can skip registering for clothes or blankets, you will get a million of those things as gifts. (not that you can't buy some cute outfits. its impossible not to!) Since you live in a smaller space - I believe (and so do we), we opted not to go crazy on registering for all the stuff that takes up a lot of space. For example, we did a bouncy seat and a plat mat, but not a swing. We also did a high chair that straps onto a regular chair, etc. Just keep in mind that while a lot of stuff is cool and fun to have, newborns don't really NEED most of it besides the essentials :) Good luck!

Gina said...

Best thing to do is if you have any friends that are pregnant or have recently had a baby...go on their registry and look at some of their items. I was in the same boat as you and feel like I have some kind of handle on it now, but who knows.

Main large ticket items besides the crib and changing table are a monitor, bassinet, travel system, pump, pack and play and of course diapers. I've heard people love the boppy and bumbos. As for pacifiers, register for various kinds as you never know which one the baby will actually like. I would also suggest the Summer Infant By Your Side Sleeper. A ton of my friends have this and love it for travel.

Kristen said...

i'm legit just having my sister in law register for me. i hated registering for our wedding, it's so overwhelming!

Schnelle said...

Yea, I agree those soon to be parents are wayyyy too calm, so not in touch with reality! How adorable is that giraffe?! Registering for our wedding was fun because I'm pretty domesticated but as far as baby stuff goes I'm bringing my BFF along with me for help since she's been there and done that.