Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday: Book Worm

Another week has come and gone and it's once again time for my BB's...

...so head on over to Life, Love & Puppy Prints to play along!

The beginning of this year I set a goal for myself to read 25 book in 2011. I still have a ways to go, but I am well on my way to achieving that goal. Since I haven't shared with you what I've been reading I decided ToT was the perfect way to give you some book reviews!

The Help

I have always been interested in the Equal Rights movement and I really enjoyed reading a non-fiction book from that time period. I was a little disappointed in the abrupt end, but overall I really loved this book and would highly recommend it. They are already making it in to a movie, which comes out in August. Emma Stone is playing Skeeter...I'm not sure how I feel about that casting choice but I'll definitely being seeing the movie.

Sliding in to Home

I'm a big Kendra fan and was interested in how her fame came to be. She was quite the wild child and with a strain of good luck she completely changed her life around and is where she is now. I read this book in just a few hours, it was really sweet and really interesting....I definitely recommend this book to Kendra fans.

UnSweetined

I am a big fan of celebrity memoirs and since I grew up watching Full House I thought this book on the real life Stephanie Tanner would be really interesting. I was a little disappointed. It was fascinating hearing about all the crazy things she did and went through. The book is really more about addiction than it is a celebrity. The writing style was just a bit too casual, made the book seem less authentic. But, if you love Full House like I do, it was a quick and interesting read.

The Lost Symbol

I absolutely loved Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code, so I figured I would love this book. I did really like it, but didn't love it. I thought it was really bogged down with the history (which the other two books are as well, but not as much). The overall story was super interesting but I found myself skimming over a lot of pages to get to the good stuff. If you're a fan of Dan Brown's other books, I would definitely give this one a read.

Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me

I am a HUGE Chelsea Handler fan. I watch her show every night, saw her stand up show live and have read her first three books. And, just like the first three, this one didn't disappoint. The book is written by her friends, family and co-workers and they tell the stories of being caught in Chelsea's lies. It is hilarious! I definitely recommend it, especially if you're a Chelsea fan!

The Autobiography of a Fat Bride

This book is a hilarious real-life, self deprecating look at dating, wedding planning and early marriage. Laurie Notaro is absolutely hilarious and I loved this book! My favorite part of the book is when she is talking about wedding planning taking over her life, she says, "Bridal magazines are kind of like OxyContin for the ivory satin/tulle crowd, and when you get down to it, I believe they are the number one cause of why it is easier to reason with a crack addict than it is an engaged woman."


I have a couple of books waiting to be read on my Nook but I always need suggestions! What are you reading? Anything you recommend?

7 comments:

Young and Fabulous said...

The Help is SOOOOOO GOOD! Oh my god you must read it..and the movie is coming out soon too! you can see the trailer on youtube!

I have never read those other books but they all sound very good. I am a sucker for reality TV star books so obv I will be reading Kendra's...but I have not made my way to Snooki's book yet hahah have you?!

xoxox

CMae said...

I'm glad you posted something about "the help" I can't help but go round and round about actually reading this book. Everytime I read the first few pages, I get lost in the southern drawls and language...So thus I usually put it back down even though everyone says its a good read. hmmmmm....

Carolyn said...

Good choices BB! :)

Mrs. T said...

I like your taste in books... Haven't read "The Help" but I really want to and I'm also really looking forward to the movie!

Anonymous said...

The Help is one my favorite books ever, i couldn't put it down. i even listened to the audio books and it was amazing.

Kristen from Love Lipstick and Pearls
http://lovelipstickandpearls.blogspot.com/

(blogger comments is still being lame)

Jessica said...

I reallllly want to read the Help!

Ms. BWIT said...

I LOVED Help, expect the ending as well! I actually met a good friend of the author here in Memphis and she it was the Author's life to a tee. I was wondering that the entire time I read it. Crazy small world!