Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Card Box!

Back in January I saw a blog post about these super cool card boxes. I then became obsessed and scoured the internet for ideas and inspiration and wrote THIS POST.

A few months ago I finally got inspired enough to create my own card box and am so excited to finally share it with all of you. 

The first thing I did was create a sketch. I am a very visual person so having a sort of map of what I was going to do was very helpful.

I got all of my supplies from JoAnn Fabrics, here's what I used:

-Paper mache boxes (I used 4 round ones of varying sizes)
-Black and White matte spray paint
-Painters tape (for stripes)
-Craft Glue
-Ribbon
-Wooden Letters (spray painted)
-Razor blade
-Fiance & Wine

After my sketch was complete and my materials were purchased, I started by spray painting the boxes their correct color:

Then I decorated each individual box:
The one with stripes got taped and then spray painted again:

 The top box got tied with ribbon:

I glued the letters on:

 I tape marked where the slot for the cards would be:
 And then had my darling fiance who is much better at using a razor blade than I am cut the slit: 

Once each box was done, I glued them together. So each box was glued to the one below it's lid...if that makes sense.

Then all I had to do was put all the lids together to create the tower of boxes! Finally, I tied a bow and actually nailed it to the top box (the nail is hidden by the ribbon, obviously). Then I glued the tails of the ribbon to the boxes so that it stays in place, and I was done!

Without further ado, here is my beloved DIY Cardbox!!!!!

16 comments:

Café Moka said...

It looks very very nice! Great job!

Ruthie Hart said...

oh my gosh this is adorable and such a good idea!! we used an antique bird cage for ours :-)

Megan said...

I love it! You did such a great job on it!

Miss K said...

ohmygosh, it looks fabulous! great job!!!

Caroline said...

It looks great!!!

Carolyn said...

Good work beebs! I knew you were crafty. :)

dottie said...

Super cute!

Lia Joy @ life is aMAYESing said...

omg! i love it! you did a great job!! :)

brynn. said...

look at you, ms. crafty!

love it :)

MIL2B24DAZE said...

That is adorable and great creative work! I really liked the added instructions..... fiance and wine, cute AND speaking of cute, can you be any...more...cuter? Doing another post for your MIL! WOW! THANK YOU!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

Jessica said...

Wow! It turned out great!

It's A Love Story said...

OMG I love it!

Jasmine said...

that's amazing! that's what i originally wanted to do for my card box but i could never find the right boxes to pull it off! it looks great!!

Anonymous said...

A true work of art. You have an endless amount of talent. I know it came from me!
m

Mrs. Pancakes said...

You did an awesome job!!

Kristin said...

wow that is so awesome!!