Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Big Fat Greek Mama

One of the things on my 30 before 30 "to do" list is to learn to make my favorite Greek dishes, Spanakopita, Dolmades and Pastitsio. Oh, I'm Greek for those of you who don't know...this isn't completely random. Anyways, a couple of weeks ago my Big Fat Greek Mama and I spent the day together and she taught me how to make Pastitsio, which is basically a Greek lasagna.

We started by going to Bill's Imported Food's which is a little deli and grocery store in Uptown owned by an adorable Greek couple. We even got some Pastitsio tips from the cashier (who I am assuming is one of the owners).



We got back to my mom's and it was full-on Greek cooking time! A little cooking tip from my mom---wear sunglasses while chopping onions:



Making the meat sauce:



I love these big fat Greek noodles:



Making Greek food truly does dirty every dish in the house:



I not only learned how to make a roux, but I learned what the hell a rue was (a mixture of butter and flour, cooked until bubbly and used as a base for sauces---for you cooking novices like myself).



Putting together my Pastitsio:



Time to go in the oven:



Me and my Big Fat Greek Mama and our Pasitsio:



It looked like Pastitsio, it smelled like Pastitsio and shockingly it tasted like Pastitsio!!!


This was definitely a tough recipe, so I might need my mom's assistance a few more times before tackling it on my own. But, I am so glad I got to learn and it was a blast hanging out with my mom all afternoon.

8 comments:

Young and Fabulous said...

thats so awesome!! It's so much fun learning a new recipe, and even more fun if it actually comes out right haha

xoxox good job! looks so good

Jessica said...

It looks delicious!! Great job. ;)

Katie said...

you and your mom = cute twins. Do you always look that cute while cooking? You'd find me in a tshirt and running shorts 99.9% of the time haha

Carolyn said...

YUM! How have I not tried that yet?!?! Tell your mom I want to come eat some greek food! LOL

Bride-onicles said...

Well that just looks delicious and you and your mom are so cute..love spending afternoons with mom!!

Anonymous said...

Spending time with my daughter doing something I love...what is better than that? A tough Greek dish and it turned out smelling and tasting perfect. What a good little cook!Looking forward to the next one on your list.
m

steph c said...

It looks delicious! I'm not Greek by any means but I seriously feel like I should be sometimes with the amount of Greek food I eat and love. So good! I can only make tzatziki right now.. but I want to try spanakopita next!

chenmeinv0 said...

ray bans uk
christian louboutin shoes
oakley sunglasses
cheap pandora jewelry
true religion jeans
oakley sunglasses outlet
ray ban glasses
oakley vault
oakley outlet
ralph lauren polo outlet
2017.2.27xukaimin