Thursday, August 25, 2011

Saying Goodbye is Hard to Do

Remember a few months ago when I introduced you to the newest member of our family, Simon?

















Well, after a lot of thought J and I decided it was best to bring him back to the lake where Bailey and I found him. Simon had a great little set up at our house but he was getting bigger, and the bigger he got the more space he was going to need until eventually we would have had to get an aquarium. While I was willing to invest in a suitable home for him I realized that I would be spending A LOT of money to keep him captive, when what he deserved was to be free.

So, Monday evening J, Bailey and I walked to the lake and set my little Simers free. I was sad.



please excuse the no-makeup face



















But, Simon was so happy. He immediately swam in to the lake and began to eat. He's always been a big eater, but CRIPES, this kid was going to town! Algae must taste WAY better than baby turtle food.













The next morning, I woke up with a pit in my stomach. There was a thunderstorm and I was so nervous about my little tiny baby turtle being out in the great big lake, during a thunderstorm all alone. After two days of worrying, me and Bailey went back to the lake. I knew the chances of seeing Simon were slim to none, but I had to go back. While, we did not get to Simon we did see a great big turtle in the middle of the lake sunning himself and something about that turtle made me feel better, like Simon was going to be OK.
















And, whenever I miss him I can walk to lake and visit him and maybe just maybe someday he'll pop his little turtle head up to say "hi" to his mom.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still miss my turtles so it is any wonder why you are the way you are. Glad you can visit. xoxo m

Carolyn said...

BYE BYE Simon!!

MIL2B(very soon) said...

Isn't he the cutest little thing?! But he is better off now out in the big pond and you should know you helped him greatly cause some baby turtles never make it that far. Good job! Love you, J and chicken grandma's Bailey Mae!

Jessica said...

Aww! Well, he's happy now in the wild I guess. :)

Bride-onicles said...

Aww what a cute story, I am sure Simon will be fine and is happy to be back with his other fellow pals in the lake :)

Katie said...

Byeeee Buddy! - Elf. He will be just fine!! :)