Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Summer Fresh Salad

A while back (when I learned to make Pastitsio) my mom and I tried this salad recipe by Ina Garten. It was absolutely delicious and I meant to share it with you forever ago!

After trying the salad we highly recommend making a couple minor adjustments. I'll include Ina's original recipe and then make my notes in italics.

Ingredients


  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1/4 cup minced shallots (1 large)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
  • 1/8th seedless watermelon, rind removed, and cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 12 ounces good feta cheese, 1/2-inch diced *I am a feta spaz, but the saltiness of the cheese with the watermelon is so good, so I recommend doubling the amount of feta AND I would crumble it versus dicing it.
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) whole fresh mint leaves, julienned *we only used half a cup and it was WAY too much mint...I'd suggest doing a couple of tablespoons

Directions


Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, shallots, honey, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking constantly, to form an emulsion. If not using within an hour, store the vinaigrette covered in the refrigerator.

Place the arugula, watermelon, feta, and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat the greens lightly and toss well. Taste for seasonings and serve immediately.

YUM!

9 comments:

Almosthubby said...

Cant believe this isnt about Sade.....

Katie said...

I have made a version of this before and it is so refreshing. I will try your recipe soon!

Katie said...

haah this looks good! the laughing is from the 1st comment..hmmm..

Miss K said...

sounds yummy!

Carolyn said...

Sounds yummy Beebs!

The Blingy Bride said...

I just found your blog and am so glad I did! I am definitely trying this recipe! Congrats on your engagement and I hope wedding planning is going well for you! :)

Bride-onicles said...

Oh that sounds delish..and perfect for summer too!

love jenny xoxo said...

yum, looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try this!

XOXO

Unknown said...

1594meiqing
celine
michael kors outlet online
rolex watches outlet
louis vuitton
ugg sale
celine
lebron james shoes
coach factorty outlet
coach outlet
michael kors
sac longchamp
nike running shoes
mont blanc
oakley sunglasses
adidas originals shoes
hollister co
true religion jeans
gucci
true religion
tod's shoes
louis vuitton outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors
mcm handbags
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
jordan 3s
michael kors outlet online
vans shoes