Monday, January 30, 2012

My Attmempt @ Meal Planning

It's no secret that my goals for this year are to get healthier {eat better & work out more} and budget {save money & pay off loans}. When my Beeb threw out the idea of meal planning I immediately dismissed it thinking there's no way I could ever plan a weeks worth of meals in advance. I get cravings for particular foods all the time--I would hate being restricted. 

Then, my wheels started turning. I thought that if I create a menu with a variety of foods I may eliminate those cravings and therefore won't devour unhealthy foods. On top of it, if I plan a nice variety of dinners we won't get sick of certain foods. I'm thinking one night Italian, one night Mexican, one night Asian, one night Beef, one night Turkey, one night Veggie...etc. etc. etc. 

As my wheels started turning even faster, I realized this could be a great way to budget as well. The plan is to go grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday and get all the food we will need for the following week. This will help eliminate waste and help me keep track of exactly what we're spending on food....not to mention will prevent us from eating out or picking up dinner {usually unhealthy and expensive}.

Long story short, I agreed to join Beeb in the quest to be a meal planning maniac. I am still apprehensive so I made it a goal for February. If it sucks I only have to do it for four weeks and then I know that meal planning is not for me.

I know you are all just chomping at the bit to see what I'll be eating all week...
so I won't keep you waiting a moment longer.

Jan. 30 - Feb. 2
MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
BREAKFAST

Starbucks Latte,
Veggie Sausage


Chobani Yogurt,
Veggie Sausage


Chobani Yogurt,
Veggie Sausage


Chobani Yogurt,
Veggie Sausage


Chobani Yogurt,
Veggie Sausage

LUNCH

Black Bean Bagel,
Carrots,
Blueberries


Black Bean Bagel,
Carrots,
Blueberries


Black Bean Bagel,
Carrots,
Blueberries


Black Bean Bagel,
Carrots,
Blueberries


Subway Sandwich,
Apple Slices

DINNER

Greek Salad w/
Grilled Chicken


Dinner Out:
Capital Grill

Enchilada Pasta

Leftovers:
Enchilada Pasta

Turkey Tacos
SNACKS

Banana,
String Cheese


Banana,
String Cheese, Larabar


Banana,
String Cheese


Banana,
String Cheese,
Larabar

Banana,
String Cheese

I decided to go balls to wall and plan breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the whole week. I planned the dinners for both myself and Jason and then we can figure out our own breakfast and lunch. I also am not planning weekend--we can eat up any leftovers and more realistically will be going out to eat. 

Let's break it down, shall we?

BREAKFAST
I am in love with Chobani's Greek Yogurt, my favorite flavor is Peach. I love that they have a great variety, so I never get sick of them. They're low calorie, no fat AND filled with calcium! Score! I have also been loving Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Links. Only 80 calories for 2 links and SO yummy! This is the perfect breakfast for me because I can keep these in the fridge/freezer at work and make them when I get in in the morning {I like to sleep in until the last minute--so there's no way I'm getting up to make breakfast!}

LUNCH: 
I found this Black Bean Bagel recipe on Eat Better America and am pumped to try it! I pre-made the spread last night and made myself a little bagel sandwich this morning. I am NOT a fan of tomatoes so I put cucumbers and onion on the sandwich and also used a whole wheat bagel. I also have blueberries and baby carrots to eat with it every day this week...except Friday when I'm treating myself to a Subway Sandwich {6 inch on wheat with Turkey, Pepper Jack Cheese (toasted!) with Spinach, Cucumbers, Onion, Black Olives and Honey Mustard is my new favorite!}

DINNER: 
Greek Salad: one of my faves! I use lettuce, cucumber, red onion, carrots, low-fat feta cheese, kalamata olives, grilled lemon pepper chicken breast and a yummy vinaigrette! 
{ignore those disgusting tomatoes!}

Capital Grille: We're going to see The Lion King tomorrow night and are going out to a nice steak dinner beforehand! NOM! NOM! NOM!

Enchilada Pasta: Jason works late and plays basketball on Wednesday nights so I wanted to find something I could make for myself and he could heat up later. I tried THIS RECIPE a couple of weeks ago and both me and Jason LOVED it! And it tastes GREAT the next day...so I figured this would be a good two-night meal option. 

Turkey Tacos: Homemade Tacos just may be my favorite food on the planet. We've been substituting ground turkey for the beef for years and LOVE it. Tacos are a perfect Friday night meal. 

SNACKS:
I usually need a snack or two to get me through the day at work.
I figure a banana and some string cheese are good healthy options. Then, on the days I go to yoga after work I'll have a Larabar for some extra energy! 

Have you or do you meal plan? What works for you...I am dying to know! 

Also, to see what Carolyn is planning for the week go to her blog: Life, Love & Puppy Prints.

Wish me luck! 

21 comments:

Michelle said...

I love planning a weekly menu for the hubs and I. I even made a menu board (from Pinterest of course!) that is hanging on the inside of our pantry door for our weekly menus. The hubs gets so disappointed if I don't post anything on the menu for the coming week. haha! :) Looking forward to seeing how this works for you.

Jessica said...

Your meal plan looks great! I'm not a huge fan of beans but that bean spread is a really great idea. :)

Bridget said...

We started meal planning 3 months ago and it has worked out perfect!!! I keep a list of everything we like to eat so I have something to look @ when I am planning! I also keep the a few of the previous weeks around so I know I am not repeating something too often.

Bridget said...

We started meal planning 3 months ago and it has worked out perfect!!! I keep a list of everything we like to eat so I have something to look @ when I am planning! I also keep the a few of the previous weeks around so I know I am not repeating something too often.

Corinne said...

We've been doing weekly meal planning for a while now and I really like how it keeps me on track at the grocery store and throughout the week! Although some weeks I'm not in the mood to plan out recipes/meals but once I do it and get home, I realize it was worth it.
I definitely think you'll find it will help! I also clip coupons and will use that time to see what coupons I have and how I can use them.

Good luck! Your first week looks like a good one!

Kelly Beatrice said...

Ever since the BF bought his house (and I moved in) we've been meal planning... so about 8 months? I find it works really well to keep my grocery list down and we waste a lot less food. I also try to only buy things I can repeat in a meal later, so it won't go bad..especially if it's a "unique" ingredient. Also helps cut down on cost! The only time it gets hard is when weeknights start to fill up with random dinner dates/meetings/etc, it can throw us off the plan easily. ALSO- suggestion: sometimes if I get a craving for a meal I plan later in the week I just switch them out! I also don't buy for Friday/Saturday because I use up whatever leftover things we have OR, like you said, we eat out.

Carolyn said...

Whoop! :) We can do it!!!!!

Katie said...

GOOD JOB LADY! Your breakfast and lunches look rather........boring. LOL SWITCH it up! don't be afraid ;) would you do homegirl a favor and update to my new blog button?!!? I'll love you forever even though I already do now! mwah

Desiree said...

No lie, I was putting the baby down for her nap and was thinking about how exactly to go about this meal planning biz-nass. I saw it on Carolyn's blog last night and made a pledge for February as well.

I still have to research meals that are quick and easy and sound good to me, but I'm going to give it a try!

Ruthie Hart said...

meal planning has been great for us! I love doing it...each weekend I let my hubby choose a few things from my pinterest boards and then I plan my grocery list. It is fun haha. And I LOVEEEEEe that enchilada pasta!!!

Holly said...

Good luck! Everything looks yummy! Let me know how it goes, I've never considered meal planning, but just might! :)

ajs {of MN} said...

i attempt to meal plan {dinner only} each week- it sticks with me for a few weeks then fizzels out but i LOVE it when i do it- it's SO nice knowing what will be for dinner we do mexican on tuesday and italian on thursdays... usually one night of leftovers and also we go out to eat most fri or sat the weekends- AND with waterbabies on wednesdays thats out "night out" for a quick dinner as well.

good luck- you have made me hungry!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

This is so cool! I love how organized you are, I wish I could be like this! Oh and I love chobani!

Stesha said...

i love your blog. and i want your meal plan!! you are going to be so healthy. I should d this for myself for the week!!!

xo
Classic & Bubbly

Liesl said...

So much of that looks oh so yummy! Good work on planning out the week...perhaps I should try this!

Liesl :)

Schnelle said...

This is such a great idea! I really need to start doing this.

Holly said...

You have inspired me! I need to do this more rather than just relying on cereal all the time!

Miss K said...

best of luck! if only i could get this organized, i'd totally stop eating cup of noodles and cereal for dinner. maybe one day!

Young and Fabulous said...

i NEED this motivatioN!!!! meal planning is so important becasue sometimes i get so lost and just end up eating a hot pocket or kurt and i will go out for dinner haha

that greek salad and black bean bagel recipe look SO good...now if only kurt will try it!? who knows

and Capital Grill! I like yo stylllleeee girl ;-)

you are awesome for doing this!

xoxox

Kelly said...

I'm trying to meal plan but it always seems that what I plan to eat I don't want to eat when the time comes. Ha! Have you tried Chobani's new flavors. Apple Cinnamon is my fav!

Kristin said...

thank you for posting that chix enchil pasta recipe!! so excited to make it!