Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wedding Recap {Old, New, Borrowed & Tiffany's Blue}

I always knew I wanted to follow the tradition of "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue." I remember learning of the tradition as a little girl and thinking it was so cool, who knows why. But, it stuck with me and became something really important to me. I actually looked in to the whole meaning of the tradition to make sure I was honoring the tradition in the right way.

Do you know what the rhyme really means?

Something Old 
represents continuity with the bride's family and past
I carried a glove that my great-grandma (grandpa's mom) wore on her wedding day as well as a handkerchief that has been passed down throughout the generations on my grandmas side. You can see there is a list of all the women who have carried this hankie and their wedding dates. It was such a meaningful memento and really captured the meaning of the Something Old tradition.
My mom showing me the list of our family who has carried the handkerchief. 

Something New
optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead
My shoes were my something new. By now you all know my long time love affair with Jimmy Choo, and wearing them on my wedding day meant more to me than having designer shoes...it was a sense of accomplishment that after so many years of wanting a pair I was able to buy them for myself. Hopefully, they're a sign of more fabulousness to come in my life ahead. 

Something Borrowed
an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride
I wore my mom's gorgeous earring for my something borrowed. She wore these earrings on her wedding day to my step-dad, Steve. It was so special to me to wear these earring and let's face it, they're GORGEOUS! 

Something Blue
The color blue is a sign of fidelity
Jason gave me a GORGEOUS ring from Tiffany & Co. that I have been lusting over for at least a year. It's the "XO" ring by Paloma Picasso BUT we personalized it by setting blue topaz {my birthstone} in the "o." It's not only a reminder of our wedding day that I will wear forever but also my Something Blue. And, considering the meaning behind the blue is fidelity, I thought it was really special that my something blue came from Jason. 

Did you follow the Old, New, Borrowed, Blue tradition? What did you carry?


All photographs by Sara Jayne Photography.


13 comments:

Jessica said...

What a beautiful ring! I don't remember what I had that was old/new/borrowed/blue. Hmm.

Café Moka said...

Wow, I love that glove tradition!!! A 100 year old tradition, it's so nice!!!

That ring is beautiful!

Carolyn said...

As much as I love Tiffany Blue... my favorite is the something old. SUCH A COOL TRADITION. Seriously. I want to figure out something that I can make my daughters and their daughters use from my wedding day. HAHA :)

Ruthie Hart said...

I love the items you chose! I just love all the wedding traditions and how fun will it be to watch your own daughters get married with the handkerchief (and maybe even the earrings!)

J and A said...

Love this, great choices. Love the odl tracitions. :)

Anonymous said...

As you know I love traditions. If you are lucky enough to have a girl we can pass this on! m xo

Lia Joy said...

Love the glove and handkerchief from your grandma! I also followed the tradition... I had my aunt's {who passed away in 2004} ring in my bouquet for my something old. My something new was my Tiffany's pearl earrings that my hubby gave me as a wedding gift. My something borrowed was a sixpence {supposed to be lucky} that i wore in my shoe that my mom wore in her shoe on her wedding day. And my something blue was a blue ribbon on my garter! :)

Tracy-Girl @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

Beautiful... I love how meaningful all of your items were! I followed it too, but it wasn't quite as special as yours :) Love your Jimmy Choo shoes!!

MIL in Milaca said...

That is very special and I followed the tradition too, including my mom who has passed but got to experience her daughter's marriage and loved her daughter's family. AND NOTE to the Anonymous comment: you are a FINE person, and I just love your daughter. ALSO,.... it would be sooo cute if they have a baby girl AND a baby boy, (twins are running in the genes, K family and my side too). LOVE YOU and your traditions and all of our family!

Leah said...

I've always loved this rhyme and can't wait to incorporate it into my wedding someday..it was neat to see all your items. What meaning behind them all- and I really love the ring!

Kristin said...

Love the glove/hankie tradition!! so cool!! And seriously loving the Tiffany ring!!

柯云 said...

2016-03-02keyun
ray ban sunglasses
ugg outlet
coach factory outlet online
coach factory outlet online
cheap toms
michael kors outlet sale
oakley outlet
tods sale
ralph lauren sale
canada goose outlet
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet online
abercrombie & fitch
hollister clothing
abercrombie and fitch
louis vuitton outlet
hollister kids
coach outlet online
kate spade outlet
nike air huarache
discount jordans
coach outlet store
cheap tods
louis vuitton outlet
rolex watches
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton outlet
north face jackets
ray-ban sunglasses
oakley outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
abercrombie and fitch
michael kors outlet online sale
kobe 10
coach factory outlet
canada goose coats
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet stores
louis vuitton outlet
pandora charms

mmjiaxin said...

longchamp handbags
michael kors outlet online
nike air zoom
skechers outlet
michael kors handbags clearance
true religion jeans
Kanye West shoes
adidas nmd runner
cheap tiffanys
yeezy boost 350 v2
gg